• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A little advice for my gross polluter?

<edited by admin... we do not do that here>

Without knowing condition of your vehicle its hard to say besides go through entire common tune up items plugs, o2, vacuum lines, timing, air filter, pvc valve etc......

You are running rich, judging by the high HC and CO and relatively low NOx. If you search for running rich you should find lots of things to look at. For starters, make sure your tune-up parts are in good shape, and that your motor is running at the proper operating temperature. O2 sensor is usually not far down the list of possible culprits. If you can narrow it down some we can help you more.

Search the internet for a "lambda calculator" you plug your emissions numbers into it and it will tell you if you are running rich or lean. If it is ok then your cat may be going bad.

There aren't really any shortcuts. Just make sure everything is in good shape and working.
Things I do every two years without fail, before I go a smoggin'

O2 sensor - you only have 1 - $50
NEW gas cap
Oil & filter
Check and REPLACE any vacuum line that even looks funky. That's no cracks, splits, and absolutely no duct tape repairs.
Full tune up - Plugs, wires, cap, air filter etc.

If you have an EGR valve, check it to see if there is correct vacuum and if it's working at all.

It's also worth a good Seafoaming (before you change plugs & O2)

P.S. Falsifying a smog test is virtually impossible in California, it'll also give you AND the shopn a hefty fine...not worth it.

You are running rich, judging by the high HC and CO and relatively low NOx. If you search for running rich you should find lots of things to look at. For starters, make sure your tune-up parts are in good shape, and that your motor is running at the proper operating temperature. O2 sensor is usually not far down the list of possible culprits. If you can narrow it down some we can help you more.

Cool this is the info I was needing. I actually smelled unburned gas the other day when I parked so running rich is probably an accurate diagnosis. Im not exactly sure what you mean by "narrow it down" but anything else to help me get started would be awesome.

There aren't really any shortcuts. Just make sure everything is in good shape and working.
Things I do every two years without fail, before I go a smoggin'

O2 sensor - you only have 1 - $50
NEW gas cap
Oil & filter
Check and REPLACE any vacuum line that even looks funky. That's no cracks, splits, and absolutely no duct tape repairs.
Full tune up - Plugs, wires, cap, air filter etc.

If you have an EGR valve, check it to see if there is correct vacuum and if it's working at all.

It's also worth a good Seafoaming (before you change plugs & O2)

P.S. Falsifying a smog test is virtually impossible in California, it'll also give you AND the shopn a hefty fine...not worth it.

This^^ is the best advice given so far.

My '89 is a past Gross Polluter that barely passed two years ago, even with a bit of financial help from the state, but no new Cat.

You can check the past smog check history on the Cal. A.R.B. website by entering the license or VIN number. In the past mine would always Fail then come back in a few days and Pass, so I knew it would have problems.

Do all the above including Sea Foam (I also swapped in Ford fuel injectors from the JY) and if that doesn't work, get a new Cat. I think NAPA has Cal. legal "universal" cats for around $150-. I installed one this time and passed with flying colors FIRST TRY for the first time in 10 years!

Good luck,
Mike

ok I did the lambda calculator and my lambda was 0.9165 and air/fuel ratio is 13.47 so I'm definitely on the rich side. Here is the result:

Screenshot2011-06-13at102216PM.png

What are the best things to do to remedy a rich condition?

a warning are you serious what a joke how the hell did i suggest he do something illegal????there are plenty of no pass no pay stations.

besides how many post are there on this board with highly illegal vehicle mods?????

a warning are you serious what a joke how the hell did i suggest he do something illegal????there are plenty of no pass no pay stations.

besides how many post are there on this board with highly illegal vehicle mods?????

Did I include your name in there?

Calm down. I have known people who used to do it. It'd be just like me telling someone to ditch their cat, trying to save somebody some pain.

Do you know how old the O2 and catalytic converter are? There are procedures to test everything, but if they are many years old it is usually a good idea to replace them. O2 sensor is a major culprit for running rich, and is not too expensive or hard to replace. A new cat can clean up your emissions enough that you might pass even without solving the underlying problem.

You say you can smell gas out of the exhaust pipe- are there any other symptoms of the engine not running right? Does it idle well, or does it stumble and miss ever? Is there evidence of a vacuum leak (a major leak will make all of the heating/AC air come through the defroster vents, regardless of what setting its on), or an exhaust manifold leak/crack (noisy, sometimes a ticking noise, especially with a cold engine)?

Also, I don't think you said whether your engine temp was normal. If it's running too cool, it will run really rich. I just replaced a thermostat that would always run at about 180 or even a little below (despite having a 195 degree rating). With the new one runs right at 210 and most of my running rich symptoms are gone.

Also, does your Jeep burn oil? That would cause high CO/HC readings just like running rich.

I think the posters in this thread have given you most all of the normal causes you should look into. Now you need to narrow it down some by testing or replacing parts.

Do you know how old the O2 and catalytic converter are? There are procedures to test everything, but if they are many years old it is usually a good idea to replace them. O2 sensor is a major culprit for running rich, and is not too expensive or hard to replace. A new cat can clean up your emissions enough that you might pass even without solving the underlying problem.

You say you can smell gas out of the exhaust pipe- are there any other symptoms of the engine not running right? Does it idle well, or does it stumble and miss ever? Is there evidence of a vacuum leak (a major leak will make all of the heating/AC air come through the defroster vents, regardless of what setting its on), or an exhaust manifold leak/crack (noisy, sometimes a ticking noise, especially with a cold engine)?

Also, I don't think you said whether your engine temp was normal. If it's running too cool, it will run really rich. I just replaced a thermostat that would always run at about 180 or even a little below (despite having a 195 degree rating). With the new one runs right at 210 and most of my running rich symptoms are gone.

Also, does your Jeep burn oil? That would cause high CO/HC readings just like running rich.

I think the posters in this thread have given you most all of the normal causes you should look into. Now you need to narrow it down some by testing or replacing parts.

Unfortunately I just purchased the truck so dont know how old either is but I am definitely going to do the O2 first thing. The only weird thing I have noticed is lately when you first start it the idle goes VERY high almost 2k rpms and doesnt really want to settle down by itself. Other than that I havent really noticed any stubles or miss's or rough idle. It leaks oil but doesnt really BURN oil (that I know of). I was told by the smog guy that the cat "looked" small so I will probably go ahead and invest in a new one and eliminate that also. I REALLY appreciate all the good advice and am addressing it currently. Thanks again.

Little update, did the plugs, cap, rotor and O2 sensor today. I did notice the #5 plug was HAND TIGHT! or loose I should say so Im hoping that attributed to the problem. I am going to go ahead and put a new cat on tomorrow and go retest. While I was changing the plugs I noticed the passenger motor mount was broken! If anyone has a quick link to the motor mount change out please post it for me. Thanks.

Back