• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf Spring replacement problems

Showtime XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I finally purchased some new leaf springs for my XJ and was hoping to have them installed this weekend. I read the posts before starting and followed the advice I could find. I soaked nuts in PB blaster for days before starting. The drivers side went great.

The passenger side front leaf spring bolt is where i had the problem. The bolt sheared off at the nut as soon as I began turning it. I cut the head from the bolt and was able to remove the spring. Now I have the nut still welded to the frame with the bolt still inside.

What would be the best method of removing this thing? Would it be easier to try and drill this thing out with some carbide bits? Or should I try to somehow cut this thing out by cutting above or below this nut to get access to it?

If there is anything left of the bolt sticking out I'd at least give a good PB soaking and try to get it out with some vice grips, pipe wrench, etc. Then you still have a good nut.

I'd go ahead and try to carefully drill the bolt out before just giving up and pounding the weld-nut out. While replacing the weld-nut is doable, it's a PITA. If you get lucky, heat-cycling the broken bolt by drilling with increasingly larger drill bits will allow the broken section to spin through and clear the threads without having th drill/re-tap.

What is behind there is it a nut or a tapped plate? I wish the weldnut had broken on mine.

Depends on the year,and you didn't state that?

I had the exact same issue on mine. I tried and tried to drill it out and I couldnt get through it. The angle is so awkward. So I ended up cutting through the bottom of the bracket and breaking the weld nut off and re welding a new one in. holds good now but was a massive PITA. Good luck!

Lucky did not happen to me when I installed the lift, but a friend had the problem and was able to get a chisel in the access port on the side and take the nut off. Then to tighten the new nut he duck taped it on a wrench thru the same access port and bolted from the bottom.

Back