• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood Insulation

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm searching for recemmendations for some sort of blanket, insulation, mat to put on the inside of the hood. More for sound deadening than "insulation", but something that will hold up to the heat.

Go to the junkyard and get the stock insulation that came on some Cherokees.

I think it is better to have the ability to dissipate more heat with no insulation, rather than to have slightly less noise.

Or he can get one to buy maybe from Team Cherokee?

I have double insulation on my hood ... perhaps not a good idea with regards to heat, but it's never overheated. I just wanted to save the paint. Yeah, silly, I know, but if you saw the hood on my Dodge that didn't have insulation you'd understand.

if noise dissipoation is all you want, you could spray some quietcoat on the inside of the hood. Good sound insulator and vibration dampener. Also not heat sensitive.

Other people have used dynamat like material, but the spray can be more all-encompassing.

I have Le Baron hood vents with baffles, e-fan on a switch. Open system. Cooling isn't an issue.

So, other than a Jeep made "blanket" is there a specific product that could be used, as in Home Depot,

There are some health issues concerning loose fiberglass fibers and so I've been
apprehensive to use the factory insulation.

Anybody out there use the aluminum foil/fiber stuff (Quality Heat Shield) that
I've seen at various car shows and parts swap meets?

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/Quality-Heat-Shield-Single-Sided.html

It looks similar to the stuff sold at hardware stores for insulating water heaters
(but I'm guessing it's probably better made).

I've seen those on newer Mustangs, and can vouch for their quality design and production. The only variable is installation - I saw one that had been applied/adhered really well, and another that had used adhesive not recommended OR applied correctly, and the corners were sagging.

I have the LeBaron hood vents, so if I got this to reduce noise, I'd have to cut out (and then seal the new inside edges) the vent holes.

David

There are some health issues concerning loose fiberglass fibers and so I've been
apprehensive to use the factory insulation.

Anybody out there use the aluminum foil/fiber stuff (Quality Heat Shield) that

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/Quality-Heat-Shield-Single-Sided.html

I like this stuff, and it's only $25 a roll.

I have the LeBaron hood vents, so if I got this to reduce noise, I'd have to cut out (and then seal the new inside edges) the vent holes.

If you use the right adhesive and some buttons it'll hang there forever.

Thanks guys.

Back