• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any reputable transmissions shops? 4R100 rebuild needed.

crazyjim

NAXJA Forum User
Well, the 4R100 in my F250 is pretty much toast, I'm slipping something fierce and overheating driving around town with a light car on the back.

I figured I'd check here to see if any of you knew a decent trans shop that could do a reliable rebuild on one, or had a line on any. I've got one or two lined up, but I'm a critic when it comes to trusting mechanics that I know nothing about. I figure if someone else knows what they're talking about, I can trust NAXJA for that.

I've got a few friends checking for me, thanks in advance as well!

That sucks Jim. The shop I go to would probably be $2200.

The 7.3 is an awesome engine. Too bad it was mated to a trans with chronic herpes. Good luck.

The 7.3 is an awesome engine. Too bad it was mated to a trans with chronic herpes. Good luck.
Seems like the weak point for mmost diesels :(

$2200 would be a steal for a good rebuild.

If it can come out my way I can probably make a call to Inglewood Transmissions, but you would have to bring it pretty far, dunno if that's worth it to you. Mike over there is the guy who built the only trans that has been able to stand up to my buddy's 1200hp drag diesel truck.

Seems like the weak point for mmost diesels :(

$2200 would be a steal for a good rebuild.

I use Stu's Transmission in Long Beach. My buddy who worked for the loca Ford Dealership had Stu's do all their work and they have done me well on two transmissions so far. I would go back a third time for certain.

Good enough for me...first hand experience from someone who tows goes a long way on a trans rebuild recommend.

:thumbup:

Yea tell me about it. I love the truck, and it'll be over 400k this month, still runs like a champ, minus a few small things. The trans on the other hand was a shitty rebuild by some small shop I'm assuming, from the previous owner.

$2200 isn't bad depending on what's being done. A buddy of mine works at a trans shop and quoted me 1800 for a stock rebuild, borg warner OEM clutches, a single disc low stall billet converter, and a transgo tugger shift kit.

If it can come out my way I can probably make a call to Inglewood Transmissions, but you would have to bring it pretty far, dunno if that's worth it to you. Mike over there is the guy who built the only trans that has been able to stand up to my buddy's 1200hp drag diesel truck.

I may have you put me in touch with him in a few days. I drive for a living, so it's not too far. I'm checking all my options right now before it finally kicks the bucket.

ryan and i know of a couple of good trans shops here in sd

I called my buddy Jim, he is going to get me a price quote on Monday afternoon.
t

A buddy of mine works at a trans shop and quoted me 1800 for a stock rebuild, borg warner OEM clutches, a single disc low stall billet converter, and a transgo tugger shift kit.

This is all you need...except check the cooler bypass on the side of the trans and get a trans cooler from a 6.0 truck.

I called my buddy Jim, he is going to get me a price quote on Monday afternoon.
t

Awesome! Thanks!

A buddy of mine works at a trans shop and quoted me 1800 for a stock rebuild, borg warner OEM clutches, a single disc low stall billet converter, and a transgo tugger shift kit.

This is all you need...except check the cooler bypass on the side of the trans and get a trans cooler from a 6.0 truck.

Well, this truck tows EVERY DAY of it's life... I put around 300 miles per night on the truck, and 60% of that is towing. The factory trans isn't the best build in the world, that's the problem.

Gotta disagree here. For a tow truck....definetely time to upgrade. Not sure how much you've got your truck turned up, but if you have many mods I'd spend the money now, or do it again later.

Gotta disagree here. For a tow truck....definetely time to upgrade. Not sure how much you've got your truck turned up, but if you have many mods I'd spend the money now, or do it again later.

It all depends on what Jim's been breaking in his trans. If he's planning on doing repos on sleds..at the drag strip...then maybe some more billet parts.
He should already have 6 pinion steel planets in there. There might be an upgrade for the od planet. Replace all three one ways (still stock) Maybe add some clutches. Cut the center support for snap ring, one piece rear bushing.
I would call this mostly stock. For 1800 this would be a real good guy price. Add purple paint and the price goes up to 4600 plus install

Here's my advice... Sell the Ford and buy THIS! ;)

Wow. You're an idiot.
Ouch. Ya sorry but I have never really cared for fords. Grew up with chevys and you just cant beat an Allison transmission. :moon:

Last edited:
Back