• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor oil in Differential

sjx40250

NAXJA Forum User
I think I found the whirring in my Jeep. I rebuilt the transfer case thinking that was where the noise was sourced. No change.
I decided to check the front diff because when changed from 2HI to 4Hi, I could hear a difference. This is new.

I pulled the filler plug on the 35 and found metal on the magnet. Pulled the cover and the oil ran out like thin motor oil, not gear oil. I could not find any metal in the oil at all, just the plug.

The gear teeth don't look bad, at least they are uniform. Do you think I can get away with putting 75-140 in for at least 10k miles without failure?

gear oil is practically the same viscosity as motor oil, when compared by visual inspection of it leaking out of a hole, dont know if i'd worry about it.

WAS IT MOTOR OIL? did it compltely not smell like sulphur?
ive ran motor oil in diffs when fighting axle seal leaks out on the trail.... re-filling it every 50 miles with gear oil wasnt an option for the drive home.

I really don't know if it was motor oil. It just was really thin or low viscosity. I can tell cause I just loaded up my 2000 GC with 75w-140 and I have some 80w-90.

The teeth were shinny and looked good. Don't really know what the whirring/whining was. It did not make a difference with on or off throttle and was directly related to vehicle speed. Could hear it at any speed down to 5 mph or so.

if the axle is bent it can put uneven pressure on the bearings and cause a crazy howling/whirring type noise.

bad nasty bearings and races can cause some noises too.

as far as thing oil, if you had just driven it and the oil was warm/hot it will come out super runny :thumbup:

I'd be checking the front driveshaft! Better yet pull it and do a test drive.

if driveshaft doesnt change anything, either rebuild the rear (new bearings and races and such) or swap it out

Back