• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shackle bracket with stock shackles?

BrokenSockets

NAXJA Forum User
I have read several posts that say the stock shackles are fine with the reloc bracket and several saying that they are not.

I finally have the brackets ordered and on the way. I want to correct the angle so that they are close to 45 and not 90 like they are now.

Am I going to have clearance problems?

I originally had 3" in back with these leafs. Over time, that has become about 2". I expect the bracket will get me back close to 3 with a 45 angle. Do I need to go with some different shackles? If so what is a good budget choice that won't have a problem with the brackets?

yes you want that 45 degree angle. i would be worried abouy your pinoin angle idk if it will change it much but i would keep and eye on it. if it does change just degree shim your leafs and your set

I just installed them with stock leafs so it may be a little different than your application but it seemed to work out fine, got the nice 45 deg angle and it gave me almost 3" lift in the back. (I made my own brackets just like RC so YMMV)

I here that some people have clearance issues with stock shackles and shackles relocation brackets...

a really good cheap shackle is the superior automotive 13-4100, it has 2 settings, 1.6" lift and 2.6" lift it is available at most auto parts stores for around $25-$40 (with $35 being the average price)

it is very well made, very strong, and has a poly bushing... BUT it is not greaseable :(

Did you order HD offroad or Rough country? Brian at HDOR says they work with Stock shackles. I've seen people run them with both stock and aftermarket ones.

Did you order HD offroad or Rough country? Brian at HDOR says they work with Stock shackles. I've seen people run them with both stock and aftermarket ones.

The ones on RC's site has a funny vid install...They have there vid of the install and are using stock shackles so you should be fine either way which ever ones you are using.

yes let me know i'm wondering the same thing. Have a pair of MJ shackles lined up for myself if you find they don't work well with stock shackles.

This is the stock shackle set at 50 degrees:

DSCF7277.jpg

This is what happens when you add 200 lbs of cargo (it's resting on the bracket, allowing no more shackle movement):

DSCF7446.jpg

This shows the limited uptravel due to the stock shackle binding on the brackets. The axle was 3" from touching the bumpstops.

DSCF7434.jpg

The shackle widens near the bolt and it rests against the bracket, allowing no uptravel or suspension to work properly at 45 degrees. I currently have it set at 70 degrees for full range of movement in the shackle until I swap out my 4.5" springs for 3" springss and longer shackles. if I wanted to run 45 degrees, I'd have to chop off the rear part of the bracket right behind the bolt to allow room for the shackle to swivel back.

Last edited:
ah o cool that's what I was afraid of. I have the dakota shackles from when i grabbed my leaf packs that are +1" vs the stock xj shackles so i think those will work much better

Back