• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

water pump now no start!

mudrat

NAXJA Forum User
i did a water pump,had to pup a tie down between the crank shaft and water pump pulley to get enough tension to take off water pump pulley bolts. also ran the jeep without the belt to diagnose a bad water pump. now with everything hooked up ,battery and everything looks hooked up, it will not start. will turn over and sounds a faint pop every once in a while turning over.i am stumped as all vauum,and wires seem to be fine.i doubt i put enough torque to maove the crank pulley and even if i dai it would still fire....94 xj 4.0HO country please help

If it ran BEFORE the water pump was installed, it has to be something related to what you did.

Go out there and recheck the whole work area until you figure it out!

yep, checked the belt over more than once, got fuel,spark, the plugs wires all good,dist dry. how do i check the timing i cant not seem to find a write up...

yep, checked the belt over more than once, got fuel,spark, the plugs wires all good,dist dry. how do i check the timing i cant not seem to find a write up...

Base timing is controlled by the computer. Don't remove the distributor!

Is the spark a strong, blue, snapping spark? Yellow/orange/white indicates a weak spark, which may not be strong enough to start the engine. If spark is weak, test both primary and secondary resistances of the ignition coil with a meter.

If spark is good, test fuel pressure. You'll need 31 psi for the engine to start. Must be confirmed with a gauge. Anything less than a gauge is guesswork.

If both of the above suggestions check out, it is time to start testing engine management sensors. Starting with the cam sensor inside of the distributor.

Did you disconnect the coolant sensor in the thermostat housing? The engine will run stupid if that's not connected.

You could also try holding the gas pedal to the floor to force the butterfly valves to open all the way. That would tell you if the problem is with air flow

i did have to replace the coolant sensor as i slipped with the wrench and broke the connector on the sensor side... but now its all hooked up and wires look fine??

Did you disconnect the coolant sensor in the thermostat housing? The engine will run stupid if that's not connected.

You could also try holding the gas pedal to the floor to force the butterfly valves to open all the way. That would tell you if the problem is with air flow

Won't this also stop the injectors from firing (to help clear a flooded engine)?

Back