• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 XJ: Injectors staying on, generator field circuit errors

ogreshooter

NAXJA Forum User
1994 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 automatic, 4wd. This vehicle was purchased for my son, and did not run when we originally got it. Was told that, "all she needs is some gazz and she will be fine." Added gas, fired up, and runs very rough.

Running very rough, shifting very hard into 2nd, kinda rough into 3 and 4.

Codes that I have in front of me (although I did not actually pull them, I am doing that tomorrow):
Generator field control circuit open or shorted
Injector 6 output driver stage does not respond properly to control sig.
Injector 1 open or shorted conditions detected in control circuit
Injector 2 open or shorted conditions detected in control circuit
CTS input above the max acceptable voltage
O2 sensor input indicates sustained lean condition during engine operation

Brand new o2 sensor installed
Checked injectors 1 and 2 by swapping places with injectors 3 and 4. 3 and 4 worked properly in stock place, do not work in positions 1 and 2. 1 and 2 injectors did not work in stock location, now work properly in position 3 and 4. (long story short: Injectors seem to be fine)
Cylinders 1 and 2 are WET. Very wet. In fact, the injectors just stay ON. NO clicking like 3, 4, and 5. Could not reach 6 properly. Will do in the AM.

Tested Throttle Position Sensor (just to rule it out) and tests .75v-3.8v. I was pretty sure needed to read to 4.5...am I wrong?

New plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Firing order correct, runs exactly the same as before the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. No change.

Put voltmeter on battery in "running" condition and tested at 14.48-14.50 volts. Well within operating ranges I am familiar with.

Have not tested the CTS yet, still need specs, just tired and need some sleep.

To do tomorrow:
Pull alternator and have it tested for sure to make certain that it is NOT the problem.
Test CTS, CPS, and whatever other sensor I can come up with.

I do not know what the true story behind the cherokee is, but it is in good shape, no oil leaks, no real damage at all. Just don't know why it is not running properly.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

Ok, well, I took the alternator out and had it tested, and it is well within spec. Checked all the sensors and they are all good. Checked grounds, connections and everything (just to narrow down stuff to buy).

So, came down to the computer. I pulled the computer to check all the connections in it (at the connector plug). All good there too.

SO, I came inside to run the numbers and find a new computer for the cherokee. Wouldn't you know it. It appears that the computer was replaced (by a MORON) that put a computer in from a 91-92 cherokee 6cyl auto. Turns out I DID need a computer...the correct computer. Fortunately, this model does not have CA smog in it, so a federal computer will do.

I hope to have it fixed by Sunday. Will update you later.

Thanks for looking.

Back