• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just checking on a cruise control issue

93xjcowboy

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 99 Limited and the cruise does not work. From what I have read it is either a fuse or the vacuum line under the battery tray. My question is if its the vacuum line will the cruise light come on or not?

The Cruise lamp should light. Presupposing the 99 is like a 98... There isn't a CC fuse. Least ways my FSM does not admit to one.

If the system does not arm (CC light on) it could be the swich on the steering wheel, the clock spring or the PCM. The system uses "resistive multiplexing". The PCM looks for given resistances and figures out what to do from those inputs. Only two wires run from the wheel to the PCM. 97 and 98 CC switches are the same, 99-01 are the same. So a 97-98 switch will not work in your 99.

The signal routing is as follows:
The CC is armed by the on/off switch. At this point the PCM allows battery voltage to run to the center two contacts on the brake light switch. Providing the brake is not applied, the voltage then goes to the servo.

From here the PCM modulates the three solenoids that are in the servo to set, coast and accelerate. You need a minimum of 10"Hg for the system to operate. The system will operate between 35mph and 85mph.

Hope this helps. There are threads about the CC here that can give you the resistance values you would be looking for.

what if CC "on" light turns on for 5-10 seconds
then turns itself off?

5-speed 96 parts from a JY auto 96

struggling with this for a long time.
brake switch?
vaccum leak by rez? (no leaks when vehicle is stopped. cant check while moving)
last thing. i removed extra bulbs out of dash. issue? (hated the "shift now" light)

Might want to check the steering wheel clock. If you take the steering wheel off there will be a round plastic part that alows the steering wheel buttons to be able to twist with out breaking. If the buttons on the steering wheel don't work that part needs to be replaced, normally runs around 150 bucks. After that I would check the fuse and then run thru all you lines and make sure nothing gone/cracked/or un-hooked.

swapped in the clock spring from the '96 in jy

little green light on cruise control button cluster turns on.
then after 5-10 seconds green light turns off.
after that you cant restart cruise (no green light)

until you shutdown and start the engine.

guessing some diagnostic check isnt passing. thus CC wont restart

Easy check of the cruise control is if the heater controls don't work properly either. Vacuum line along the bottom of the cowl or right fender if I remember correctly.

There is(on a 98 anyways)a check valve up by the manifold that if bad can cause it to work at first then just shut of and not work again. The check valve is part of a main line assembly though if you go to the dealer for it. But you should be able to get the right size from the parts store if you bring it in as it is two different hose sizes on either end. That is if yours is bad that is. That is what is wrong we found out on my buddies 98 when the same thing happened with his cruise control.

Back