• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I have a 8.25 axle ready to swap in...

SanDiegoOverland

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a driveshaft, new u-bolts, e-brake cables, etc...

Brakes are supposedly in good shape with about 20k left on them.

It's my ultimate goal to swap over to KJ or ZJ discs.

Would you guys say it's a good idea to do this while the axle is out of the truck? Or would you simply run the current drum setup until it's ready to be replaced, and then just do the disc swap then?

I'd honestly love to just slap the axle in there, and get rid of my D35 on one of the next few saturday's...

unless it'd be WAY easier to do it out of the truck.

I don't really see a difference other than being able to take my time and do the job as I have time if the axle is in my garage. Also, being able to pause if I need to, and not have to worry about the truck being down for repairs is a plus, as this is my daily driver.

put it in and run it, in that time gather all the stuff you'll need for the disc swap.
X2 , it is not really any easier out of the vehicle. You might try getting an extra set of brake shoes for it and install the long ones in place of the short ones for a significant improvement. You may decide you don't need disks.

spend the disc brake money on a locker, or a roll cage, or taking the family on a vacation. discs arent worth the money on a mild axle to me. maybe do em NEXT TIME you need brakes....

dunno, maybe it's just me, but moneys tight these days. gotta get the best bang for the buck, and discs aint it.

Cool, ok. I think I'm in agreement with y'all. I'll just run these brakes and see how they do.

If I think I need more braking power, I'll do John's double long brake shoe mod first, and then maybe eventually do discs. Axle was bought from a nice Naxja'er so I have no doubts about its condition. The rest of the axle is in really good shape, too.

Oh, and XCM, I agree, I've got three kids, and just bought a house..lol...I think long and hard about how we spend our money these days. :)

and brian, if your D35 brakes are in better shape, you can swap them over. all the drum hardware is the same between the two. even down to the backing plates.

and brian, if your D35 brakes are in better shape, you can swap them over. all the drum hardware is the same between the two. even down to the backing plates.

I'll be using the hard line from my d35, but didn't know that about the acutal brake hardware. very cool, thanks!

I think the brakes on the 8.25 have the most life, but I'll have to give them both a close inspection.

X2 , it is not really any easier out of the vehicle. You might try getting an extra set of brake shoes for it and install the long ones in place of the short ones for a significant improvement. You may decide you don't need disks.

Yessir. Disc brakes are nice because of their self-cleaning properties and all that, but I believe that a well-working drum system is just as effective, if not a tad more so. :)

ive never heard of this... does it give you significant improvement?

i just swapped out my 8.25 for one with lower gearing, and redid my brakes. feels a ton better. but this interests me. i dont feel i NEED disks, i can lock up the tires fine. but if i can improve braking on the cheap it might be worth it.

ive never heard of this... does it give you significant improvement?

i just swapped out my 8.25 for one with lower gearing, and redid my brakes. feels a ton better. but this interests me. i dont feel i NEED disks, i can lock up the tires fine. but if i can improve braking on the cheap it might be worth it.

I've heard John and others mention the duel "long" pad mod before, and everyone I've heard of says that there's a noticable improvement...

OK, so...

There are two sets of rear drums for the 8.25. The standard 9"x2" and the optional 10"x1.75". The 10" drums are finned. The 9" are smooth. The 10" were on the police specials for sure, maybe others as well.

i thought the 9" was for the 8.25 axle, and the 10" shoes were for the D35... at least i assumed that the first time i ever did my brakes and the parts guy handed me the 10" shoes for my 8.25. obviously they did not fit.

am i mistaken?

What if you break a non C clip rear axle? Does the rear disc not hold your axle in until you get off the trail?

Am I wrong?

What if you break a non C clip rear axle? Does the rear disc not hold your axle in until you get off the trail?

Am I wrong?

It depends on where the break is,A non c-clip axle is held in by the bearing(thats all thats holding it in when your driving).

It depends on where the break is,A non c-clip axle is held in by the bearing(thats all thats holding it in when your driving now).

So if its breaks anywhere in between the ring gear and caliper, the discs hold it in? I would imagine that is a pretty big plus.

i thought the 9" was for the 8.25 axle, and the 10" shoes were for the D35... at least i assumed that the first time i ever did my brakes and the parts guy handed me the 10" shoes for my 8.25. obviously they did not fit.

am i mistaken?

both axles have 10" versions. but 9" is most common

Back