• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ Trans

svtford4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

97, 4.0, aw4

looking to change the trans fluid, filter, and also cooler lines. considering possibly throwing in an external trans cooler it gets cold in the winter but not extreme. Just wondering what some .02$ people have on these coolers. all stock for now even 225's on her.

first jeep not bad but, rear leafs are sagging a bit, also the clamps are rattling, 4x4 linkage is rattling when in gear, rear popping noise when truck is shifted side to side, coming from axle? shifts hard into drive. The usual jeep stuff ive been reading about. Although overall like the jeep so far. Its even got the window lock issue on the drivers side.

Jeep makes a replacement leaf spring clamp, I don't know what they want for them. I made my own out of 1/4"X1-1/2" flat stock and grade 8 bolts/nuts...they seem to be working OK. You can quiet the rattle by squeezing the stock clamps with a large HD C-clamp and pipe as a temporary fix.

i think i remember reading a post about the fabbed up clamps, but i might give the c-clamp idea a try.

thoughts on the aux trans coolers anyone?

i was also reading people are using different types of fluid in the AW4, wasn't 100% on the best fluid, also wondering what to do about the transmission cooler lines, maybe they can be fabricated?

never mind, i read dex II, was originally used but dex III is fine to use.

No input on the auxiliary transmission coolers? the lines only have a little bit of rust and might last, i am just being overly cautious because i want the truck to last.

The cooler I have is great. 11" x 9", 4 passes, 3/8 tubing. Keeps my tranny temp in good range.(125-200). I have all rubber trans lines about 1 foot forward of the trans. Cooler is not in the radiator loop. did away with all "quick" disconnects because they kept leaking.

I pulled a factory cooler from a Ford Full Size Bronco out of my local U-Pull-&-Pay. It cost $15.00. I also grabbed a power steering cooler from an F350.

I mounted the trans cooler on the passenger side and the ps cooler on the driver side. Works great. Cheap too...

too bad i sold my f150.

thats a good idea, there probably isnt a way to get rid of the quick connects without an aux cooler? might be a better route anyway if i can find one for 15$ lol

just debating what route to go with the fluid flush, might have a shop evacuate the fluid, not sure about the screen guess i can judge by the condition of the fluid.

are rubber lines durable? or would metal lines be better?

Paradisexj:
where the rubber meets the stock transmission line on your setup have there been any issues? seeing how its not "barbed" for the rubber line.

sounds like an aux cooler sounds like a good route.

meh i ask allot of dumb questions.

so the play is to take it to a shop to flush the fluid. i am going to put the fluid in and install a trans cooler at the same time. next question,

what thread are the fittings on the aw4 transmission i'd like to have everything ready as i will be doing this in a parking lot haha.

http://www.drivewire.com/vehicle/1994-jeep-cherokee/oil-cooler/

J311101.jpg

The picture is upside down.

i got this guy for my 00...it bolted right in and all i had to do was dremel off the fittings and double hose clamp each soft line. Easy and reliable. it's the OEM tow package cooler

However it doesn't have the cooling capacity as some of the others

i think im going the barbed fitting route with some tough rubber line routed best way possible, also picking up a aftermarket cooler for super cheap.

i have no idea about adding the radiator into the loop it gets cold here, but might just go with the aux cooler alone.

I run a Hayden trans cooler. Your local parts house should carry them. The High Perfomance cooler is about $55. I've read depending on where you live should determine if you run just a Aux or run it back through the radiator. I myself living in SoCal elemenated running through the radiator.

Back