• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranmission cooler

bails85

NAXJA Forum User
I need to install a tranny cooler on my xj. i blew my trans on it last summer because it over heated going up the pass. i do not plan on using my ac system anymore so i was thinking about using the ac condensor as a trans cooler. its big and it already has a spot in front of the radiator. i plan on taking the tranny completely out of the radiator loop. can this work or is it a better idea to spend money and buy a trans cooler? also being that i dont plan on using the a/c system anymore what is the best way to go about deleting it. i do want to keep the ac pump in its place. (no need to take it out to put in a pulley) i might use it for OBA later on. i also want to keep my heater. i have never installed a trans cooler before so i dont exactly know what to do or how to do it. a guy on another thread mentioned the ac condensor idea. i just wanted to ask people that are xj specific to see if this is a good idea. i want to remove all of the ac componets i can from under the hood. if im not using them i want the extra space. (renix) thanks​

It's pretty straight forward. Cut the lines coming from the transmission, attach rubber lines to Cooler and place it in front of the radiator. I used the biggest one and the most affordable one from Kragen/ O'rielly. I think it was under 50 bucks. If i get a chance, ill post up pics of how i routed mine. Drove the jeep to work today so if i have time, ill post up.

I think the A/C condensor would make an excellent trans cooler. Hook it up the same way you would an aftermarket trans cooler as Boostamante described. You should never have an issue with the transmission heating up after that. You will have to cut the A/C condensor lines at a suitable place and it would be best to get the ends bubble flared to hold the trans hose securely. I have the tools for this if you want I can flare them for you.

the aw4 has a optimal operating temp, IIRC it's around 180°F. you don't want to keep it too cool by putting too big of a cooler on it.

search in mod tech for my thread on barbed transmission cooler fittings to see my setup, my cooler is about half the size of the ac condenser and beating on it hard going up the pass it never got above 165. out in the deep sand in JV by the dunes it got up to 200, then when I kicked the fan on it dropped down to 180 and stayed there until I got back on hard packed dirt - then with the fan on and hitting the whoops at 60 it never went above 150. My cooler is too big but I think once the stroker goes in it'll be just right :D

Good info, I've been wanting to do a tranny cooler too just as insurance.

Maybe it's time i did something productive and made a quick write up :p

Its gonna be beaner-iffic :p

grimm i was wondering about your point of view about the trans running too cool as well which is why i asked about the ac condensor. will the trans running under temp hurt anything or is it just not proper operating temp. being that i plan on cutting the ac lines and taking the ac system out. do i need to cap off anything as far as the ac pump goes or do i just unbolt and take off what i dont want/need?

why do you need a writeup? the plumbing is allready there on aw4's, just change where it goes... 1 side goes in, the other out.... done.... a bails85 could do it.

only problem with this, is it still uses the factory disconnects. ive never had a cooler fail, but these disconnects would fail every long trip i made... SERIOUS FIRE HAZARD.

the aw4 has a optimal operating temp, IIRC it's around 180°F. you don't want to keep it too cool by putting too big of a cooler on it.
I've heard this point made several times by lots of people but nobody has ever posted up any references to data showing that it is not good for the tranny to run cooler than 180*. Do you have an article or something that I can read about this?

The FSM says the ATF's "Normal Operating Temperature" is 122-176 degrees. Don't know if that's measured at the output to the exchanger/cooler, but that seems to be the preferred test point.

21-270 in the 97 FSM.

Interesting about the operating temp.... I put a j/y tranny cooler off a full size ford on mine about 2 weeks ago. Installed a B&M tranny temp gauge same time, and have yet to see it pass 160-170.

why do you need a writeup? the plumbing is allready there on aw4's, just change where it goes... 1 side goes in, the other out.... done.... a bails85 could do it.

only problem with this, is it still uses the factory disconnects. ive never had a cooler fail, but these disconnects would fail every long trip i made... SERIOUS FIRE HAZARD.

do the disconnect housings on the trans come off. i tried to undo them once and they would not budge at all. i was using a big box end wrench on them. i didnt want to push the issue just incase they werent supposed to come off? maybe an impact?

also what would be good to use to flush the ac condensor once i disconnect it?

You should ask in general tech, the socal chapter in NOT the time or place for these silly questions.. Try using the search feature as well, believe it or not it works..

chill out, casual tech goes on ALL THE TIME, its not cp... relax. 2 posts complaining in 30 minutes? really? now i HAVE TO answer his questions.

flush with water, or whatever onto your neighbors lawn. the hex lugs come out, its just a bitch to get to them on an installed transmission. checkout grimm's thread about replacing them if you can.

Please don't add fuel to the fire, this type of foolishness needs to stop now or else bails85 is gonna flood this section of the forum with rubbish!

Back