• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replace or rebuild

Jeepm@n

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 XJ that has 150K on it. I have multiple issues with and was
wondering if I'd be better off starting over with a newer XJ and cleaner body or
fixing the junk I have?

1.There is rot on the passenger sider rocker and through the floor boards from
the rockers to just the inner portion of the frame rail on both sides. Also
above the muffler and above the gas tank. it looks like it was a shot by shot
gun. Every panel has a dent from either bears trying to get in or deer running
into the side. Rot in upper drivers side cab corners also. I left apples for the
deer in there overnight and ended up clawing the crap out of the drivers side
and biting the door handle on the passenger side. I cannot weld and the quote I
have to have it welded with the steel I have is 1600.00.

2. Motor mounts are shot.

3.There is still a front end wobble even though everything on that axle has been
changed minus the upper control arms. Think I will replace the front Dana 30.

4. Transfer case tail shaft has over a 1/2" of play. Would change it to a NP242.

5. Rear u-joint is shot in the drive shaft.

6. Clunking noise from the right rear tire. I think it is brakes.

7. Gas tank is starting to leak and the fuel pump I think is going out due to
once in a while having to give it throttle to start and stay running.

This would be used as a tow vehicle for a small boat or camper., and a bad
weather family vehicle due to where I live.

Just give me you opinions. I have access to a small amount of cash if I need
to.

I was thinking the same thing. Although what do I do with the other Heep? Scrap it? Sell it? I don't want to give someone else any of my junk. I'd want them to know what they were buying.

x2! find a doner body (aka, one that needs a motor or tranny). do a quick swap and be done. and dont forget to be a packrat and keep anything of possible future use...did that just say something of my mental state? nah...just drunk

I found an 01 with 115k and a blown motor with a clean body for $300 Will my 96 motor bolt in?

Only thing I think I'd have to do is use the manifolds, fuel injectors, and fashion a bracket for the 01 coil packs. Is this a possible swap?

You pretty much got it. Basically you have to use the electronics that the computer expects to see and take some performance gains where you can, so you'd want to take the 01 manifold, sensors, fuel rail/injectors, power steering assembly, and ignition parts on the old engine, fabricate whatever you need to get the coil packs mounted, and bolt it all up to the old engine.

Getting the stock 01 exhaust manifold to seal with the ports of your 96 (0630) cylinder head is a iffy proposition. If you use a gasket it leak for sure. Without gasket it is very, very close - just about line-to-line on one edge.

Can I use the 96 exhaust manifold with the 01 intake? I thought that I'd only have to use the 01 intake, fuel rail with injectors, brackets, and sensors. I was planning on using the 96 block, head, and exhaust manifold.

Guy told me it was rust free. Far from it. Had serious under body rust. He offered it to me for $400. I turned it down. I will keep looking. I should have some more cash to work with in about 3 weeks.

Back