• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck in Crab Flats

my2monkeys

NAXJA Member
picture.php
Got high centered on the front diff going down to Deep Creek.

Time for some 30" tires at least lol.

Maybe a lift,a (better than stock) jack, tow strap ect.

But, after a quick jack up with stock jack and a few rocks under front right tire. 4lo and on my way.:gee:

RULE #1- NEVER WHEEL ALONE! :twak:

I disagree. If you know your limits, always have a plan B, and are prepared to stay longer than planned there are no issues to going out alone. I used to do it all the time and am starting back into it.

From the sounds of it this was a prepared scenario, the vehicle was self-recovered.

The wife and i always run out here in the desert by ourselfs, we just make sure we take lots of water and food.It's fun to go out and find new stuff.Glad you got yourself out.

I disagree. If you know your limits, always have a plan B, and are prepared to stay longer than planned there are no issues to going out alone. I used to do it all the time and am starting back into it.

From the sounds of it this was a prepared scenario, the vehicle was self-recovered.

Plus :
You're never alone in Crab Flats...

Wooooooow... not expecting that man. Getting stuck is NOT the only fear of wheeling alone – in fact, it’s hardly an issue at all. Rolling over, engine/tranny/t-case failure and other factors come into play, and regularly. Most of us can get ourselves out of minor (or even major) stucks with the tools we have on hand. However, if you are pretty far from civilization and the Jeep goes floppity, you could be in big trouble.

I do not ever recommend wheeling alone, in almost any situation. Of course, you are free to do so, but going out with another rig, no matter how weakly built, is almost always the best idea. :)

Rolling over, engine/tranny/t-case failure and other factors come into play, and regularly.

The rollover risk is greatly diminished with the knowing your limits part of the equation. When out alone I fully expect folks to act differently than in a group, I know I do.

As for sudden unexpected engine failure there are two points:
1: 2-meter radio and hiking boots. Plus my Spot, I'll be fine.
2: I have a 4.0, as long as I don't drown it it's invincible!

The rollover risk is greatly diminished with the knowing your limits part of the equation. When out alone I fully expect folks to act differently than in a group, I know I do.

As for sudden unexpected engine failure there are two points:
1: 2-meter radio and hiking boots. Plus my Spot, I'll be fine.
2: I have a 4.0, as long as I don't drown it it's invincible!

X2! I would not worry about going out alone as long as I am not pushing my limits, when I have other vehicles is when I can get crazy.

We ran Dishpan Springs sunday again, Had a ton of fun. Lets just say I NEED sliders now haha.

“Pushing your limits” is almost never an issue, as well. Ask anyone who’s flopped if they were pushing theirs – the answer is very likely going to be a resounding NO.

A wheel goes in the wrong rut, the sun gets in your eyes, loose gravel, a drive shaft busting in mid-obstacle – oh, the list goes on and on. Yea, if you have a decent radio and are able to hike five miles and KNOW where you are going, I guess you are a tad better off. But we know Jeep folks: they aren’t always in the best of shape.

If you are 100 lbs overweight and wearing sandals, as I see SO many people doing on trails, you have a big problem. Just take a buddy with ya – that’s my advice. :)

@ sequioa - not wanting to be a submariner? i hear its bad for transmissions.

generally i have one person in the jeep with me, long far out trails i try to have other vehicles out with me but sometimes you just go out on your own. and i never go out in my flipy-flopies!

derek is exactly right - no if ands or buts. 2 yrs ago an experienced wheeler w/ a rubicon ventured into the mojave by himself, didn't come out alive. a mother on her way home got sidetracked, killed herself & 2 kids. u go out alone, any number of things can happen that will be bad for UUUUUU, and your family.

people get killed crossing the street all the time... you cant let statistics get to you, or you'll be wearing a diaper.

terryg you forgot to mention every time people go wheeling alone, and NOTHING happens....

long story short, your driving. take responsability.

::facepalm::

Back