• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do Chrysler 8.25 diff need friction modifier ? ?

xjcherokee2000

NAXJA Forum User
i have a chrysler 8.5 rear axle / pretty sure its limited slip ( thought they all were ) .. need to know if i need to add the friction modifier when changing gear oil . if so do i need to use the oem stuff from jeep or can i use off the shelf additive ? i have gotten mixed answers from previous postings . so any help would be great . THX

:anon:

if it's limited slip (not all are) you'll need the additive. Off the shelf friction modifier is fine as long as it says it's intended for limited slip differentials.

never hurts to add it if in doubt

Ok i just got the build sheet on my Jeep . Nowhere does it say "Trac-lok Limited slip " although it does say : "Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System" is this a limited slip ? or would it flat out say limited slip ... Thanks so much for your help and time ! :yelclap:

It is not a limited slip. Command trac is the explanation of the transfer case.

Although I would do as Shorty said. "If you do not know for sure add the additive."

LOOK in the glovebox, should be a sticker there on lsd equped vehicles.

OR, LOOK inside the diff....forget your build sheet.

nothing in glove box . and nothing inside diff but serial #s .at the shop i will jack her up and spin wheels to see if the both turn tuesday in order to find out . just thought there would be an easier way , like able to tell by looking inside once cover is off or something . thanks for all the help guys . :party:

If you have a limited slip, when you jack up the truck from the diff, the wheels should turn the same way if you're in neutral, or only turn about 10 degrees or less and stop if in park. Plus when you pull the cover, there will be clutch packs just outside of the carrier bearings on both sides. They look like motorcycle clutches.

No, xcm was saying to look inside your diff to see if there is a LSD in the carrier, not any words or references to one.

thx xcm ! pictures rock . looks to me like i have limited slip after looking at pictures . i added friction modifier yeasterday just to be safe , cant hurt . i will also jack the jeep up tomorrow and spin the wheels/tires so there is no doubt in my mind . Big THANKS to all you guys for your help .
:eeks1:

glad you got it figured out, i should add the first diff has an aussie in it, it'll normally have spiders too, but that pic shows the carrier SHAPE well.

nope?, first pic is an OPEN carrier with an aussie installed.
the 2nd pic (square) is an lsd, notice all the room behind the spiders for the clutches?

the aussie is probably whats throwing you off.

Sorry Dragonslayer, but xcm had the correct labels the first time.

Here is a picture (a little bit blurry) of the 8.25 that came in my '99, which was an open diff. Notice it is the same square opening that xcm posted earlier.

Jeep008.jpg

OK all. I stand corrected. I changed the lube in both ('93, '98) of my XJs last year
and they both had the big squarish opening with the spherical shaped carrier as in
Begster's photo.

I think what confused me at first was that the earlier post with the pic of the open
diff did not show any spider gears, whereas the pic with the LSD did.

Back