• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

questions about removing and installing ball joints

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1995 jeep cherokee I am planning on doing a steering upgrade to the over knuckle inverted T set up with 1ton TREs and im planning on replacing the hubs, ball joints and ujoint in the axle at the same time.

Im wondering how difficult it is to press the ball joints out without use of a air impact gun? I always put a impact on the end of the ball joint press with no real problems but it seems like it could be difficult to do with a ratchet on the end

Thanks for the adivce

I don't have an impact gun, and I've not had any problems with using a 7/8" wrench or a socket on a 1/2" drive breaker bar. Once they are initially broken loose I can usually get it out the rest of the way with a regular 1/2" drive ratchet. It would be marginally quicker with an impact gun, but you should be able to generate enough torque with hand tools...worst case you'll end up using a cheater pipe. Also, when you press the new ones in it is better to go slow and steady, to make sure they're going in straight (especially if you are using shims to account for the angles on the knuckle, instead of properly angled cups...)

Of course, if your Jeep is heavily corroded and those BJs have been in there a while, then all bets are off. Mine has very little corrision.

Good luck...

When I replaced my ball joints I didn't use any extreme amount of force on the wrench/ball joint tool. Tighten fairly snug then tap a hammer around the knuckle, repeat until it pops free.

When I replaced my ball joints I didn't use any extreme amount of force on the wrench/ball joint tool. Tighten fairly snug then tap a hammer around the knuckle, repeat until it pops free.

x2
I borrow the BJ press from AutoZone, then turn it with a 7/8" wrench, no impact required. I also sprayed with PBlaster.

^that's the trick. A 3lb sledge works great for this. Just use the ball joint press to "load" up the ball joint then tap the top, or bottom depending on which one you're trying to remove, and it'll pop loose. Not only is it a lot more controlled, it doesn't require as much effort.

This is my method but I use heat and a hammer bought my bj press @ harbor fright it's been great and has done about 6 sets of ball joints. I only use hand tools on my press I've seen them bend with a impact gun.

Back