• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backlash in steering

RonS53

NAXJA Forum User
Just had my transmission R&R, front brakes done (new rotors and pads) and had a new track bar, poly bushings (Moog) and steering stabilizer put in.

Now my steering has backlash, I can rapidly rock the steering wheel an inch and a half on a straight road and feel no effect. At 50+ I can feel a dead spot when transitioning from straight to the first steering input to begin a gentle curve, it is worse when coming out of a slight curve one way to the other, you have to take up the slack before you feel the steering pick up. Doesn't seem like much but at times it gives you that sick feeling of steering on ice, just for a second. If you aren't thinking about it it gives you a leemer.

Question is after the work I had done, what is most likely to have caused the problem? Or is it just the steering box and a coincidence that I had it crop up after so much work on the Jeep?

Jeep is a 2001 Sport, 4.0, auto, 4wd, stock.

Thanks, and also thanks to everyone who posted in my "Not all AW4s are the same" thread.

Double check the bushings on the track bar. They could be the wrong ones.

Like was said before, have someone rotate the steering wheel back and forth within the range of slop while you look underneath at the entire steering system.

Check:
Tie rod ends
Track bar ends
Steering box
Wheel bearings

It can be caused by almost any joint in the front end including ball joints. It also can be the steering gear itself. Have someone rock the wheel back and forth while you get under it and take a look.

Ok, time for the old fat guy to get under the Jeep again. :( There was a lot more room under there 10 years ago.

Thanks for the advice, I will check those items, the track bar and bushings came from Rock Auto as a set, I hope they are correct but I will pay attention to the track bar on both ends. I am thinking since it started after the track bar and steering damper were replaced that is where the problem crept in.

We'll find out when the temperature in the garage drops a little.

Back