• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flex pipe in exhaust?

SolarBell

NAXJA Forum User
So the last time I was out in Moab I managed to land a rock right between my oil pan and tranny, right on the cross pipe of my exhaust. This pushed up my entire exhaust and mashed my down pipe sideways into my oil pan. I bent most of it back down, but the down pipe was permanently bent into my oil pan, so I'm replacing the manifolds down through to the cross pipe in case the manifolds got cracked. I'm got a 2000 with the Cali emissions so my down pipe is actually the stupid expensive pre-cat setup. I'm in an area that has smog checks with inspections so I have to leave the pre-cats in place, otherwise I'd convert to the pre-2000 setup.

Does anyone think it would be wise, helpful, or possible to put a section of flex pipe inline right after the pre-cat flange to prevent this happening again? I've got a belly skid coming but it wouldn't have covered this, so I'd like to make it a bit more resilient to a hit.

Just for clarification, when I refer to a 'flex pipe', I'm referring to this:
41UZwnfG5JL._AA300_.jpg

Commonly done. Mostly as it will help to prevent the torque of the engine from cracking your header.

had one on the XJ awhile back when I used to DD it, after a couple of years the braiding wears out and they start to leak.

Back