• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Swaybar Broke

weebur

NAXJA Forum User
While chasing down a rear end noise I noticed that my passenger side rear swaybar (to the frame) bushing was worn. After buying new bushings I took off the bushing and found that the rear swaybar had snapped in two under the bushing bracket. It's a clean break. I also noticed that the swaybar was worn down about 25% at the point of the break. Jeep wants $113 for a new one and I don't want another puny, rusty, weak one from my local boneyard ($35/$70).

Just about my whole front end suspension is new and the Jeep handles well. I understand that a lot of guys feel it's OK to remove the rear swaybar (not the front), but I'd just as soon have it on.

Has anyone ever successfully welded a broken swaybar?

Last edited:
Ditch it,it cant be welded!

I understand your point of view in wanting to keep the swaybar. If that's the case, I think you're going to have to choose between a used one for less money or a new one for more money. Welding will result in a re-broken sway bar, that likely will snap while it's being leveraged upon by the full weight of the jeep and it's occupants, in a turn. If you do weld it, I hope you're able to control the sudden increase in body roll.

I do not run a rear sway bar, and you may think of me "as just another crazy offroad jeeper" but let me explain a bit first. I actually ran without a sway bars at all for a while, and even though I felt safe while going straight, cornering during my daily 22 mile commute was a bit iffy.

Since I value my safety, and that of my three girls and wife, who often ride with me, I reinstalled the front sway bar. Completely changed the nature of the jeep back towards being very controllable and predictable. (btw, I have solid links now, but I'll likely get some JKS disco's in the future.)

In my opinion, the difference between running with or without the rear sway bar will be very negligable, and will save you the coin to upgrade your front end with some JKS disco's to maximize articulation, if you haven't already. My family and clean driving record (no accidents in almost 20 years) mean the world to me, and if I felt like this "modification" in any way compromised my ability to react and perform a panic manuever (as well as a 20 year old jeep could perform such a move..haha!! :D...I certainly wouldn't perpetuate it.)

That's simply my take, though, after about a year of driving without a rear swaybar.

I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you. Good luck, sir!

Last edited:
The sway bar is a spring. You can't weld a spring without annealing, welding, re tempering. If you try and weld it, IT WILL FAIL!

The reason it was worn out inside the bushing is because dirt and grit will embed themselves into the softer material (bushing) then continue to abrade the metal.

BTW..... What's a sway bar?

i run both sway bars on my 3 inch lifted dd xj.....it still sways as much as my 5 inch/35's/ long arms trail jeep that only runs a front bar.... youre more than welcome to have my rear off the DD if you want to come take it off....

onto other idea's... we were talking about running a sway bar off a dodge pickup the other day. the type that mounts to the axle and endlinks to the frame. it would be better bar than stock.

I ditched my rear sway bar a long time ago. even with stock suspension I did not notice any difference in handling.

I now run with no sway-bars front or rear and have not lost any control of the vehicle. I have had to make some panic maneuvers at speeds above 60mph with no noticeable body roll...

...That's simply my take, though, after about a year of driving without a rear swaybar. I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you. Good luck, sir!

Thanks for your input. I don't know how long it's been broke, but I thought my XJ handles well...considering its fairly high center of gravity (I remember some white knuckle turns in my old junks in the early 60's!).

Based on the input here the old one is headed for the recycle bin and I'll just buy a new one from Jeep. I tow a popup camper and will feel a little better knowing there's one back there.

<shrug> I towed a pop-up camper from Chicago to Moab 3 times without a rear sway bar.

Just toss it. I think Addco makes a rear XJ bar if u want to spend the money

...That's simply my take, though, after about a year of driving without a rear swaybar. I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you. Good luck, sir!

Thanks for your input. I don't know how long it's been broke, but I thought my XJ handles well...considering its fairly high center of gravity (I remember some white knuckle turns in my old junks in the early 60's!).

Based on the input here the old one is headed for the recycle bin and I'll just buy a new one from Jeep. I tow a popup camper and will feel a little better knowing there's one back there.

That sounds like a wise option, seeing how you'll be towing. That way you know exactly how it's going to handle 100% of the time.

Sometimes it pays to cry a bit in buying factory stuff ($$) to bring the truck back within it's intended specs. I've done that with several critical repairs, and I've never regretted it.

:cheers:

Last edited:
<shrug> I towed a pop-up camper from Chicago to Moab 3 times without a rear sway bar.

I've been towing my old/heavy popup for several years 400+ miles to southern Illinois and haven't had any problems, even being setup for serious off road use (5" body lift, 20.5" tires and no rear bumper), however, last year the popup started fishtailing on me twice, so bad that I almost lost control.

The old axle has a lot of negative camber that I think is the problem. I've got a whole new axle on order, but it was scary enough (half asleep at the time) that just to be safe I'll probably run a rear sway bar.

Just toss it. I think Addco makes a rear XJ bar if u want to spend the money

I found an upgraded kit (includes end links) that's 7/8" in diameter for $165 vs. $113 from the dealer. Here the link, if anyone is interested:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACO-420/

There is an instruction sheet (.pdf) at this site, but is says it's for '84-88 Cherokee. Navigating through the site with my details indicates that it should work on mine.

Last edited:
If you really want to replace your rear swaybar Don't waste your money purchasing one, Just post a topic titled
"REAR SWAYBAR WANTED"
I am sure Someone who is tossing theirs on here will come through with one for you!
I just cut one up & tossed it in the trash last month.

If you really want to replace your rear swaybar Don't waste your money purchasing one, Just post a topic titled
"REAR SWAYBAR WANTED"
I am sure Someone who is tossing theirs on here will come through with one for you!
I just cut one up & tossed it in the trash last month.

Thanks, it's a good idea but I don't know about you but I hate doing things twice, so I'll go with a new one or the upgraded one I just found.

Factory 96 "up country" (mild lift etc) with tow package came without a rear swaybar.

Suspect a rear swaybar is not a whole lot of help on towing and the other stuff has more effect, but shouldn't hurt towing.

Good Luck,
Orange

I found an upgraded kit (includes end links) that's 7/8" in diameter for $165 vs. $113 from the dealer. Here the link, if anyone is interested:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACO-420/

There is an instruction sheet (.pdf) at this site, but is says it's for '84-88 Cherokee. Navigating through the site with my details indicates that it should work on mine.
Quadratec lists it for 84-01, but who knows. Same price too.

Quadratec lists it for 84-01, but who knows. Same price too.

I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to respond. I just ordered the Addco 420 through Summit Racing (~$178 w/shipping).

On another forum a member, who is in to racing, mentioned that he has welded a rear sway bar as a tempory fix and also said that without a rear sway bar the XJs will have more understeer. I have noticed an increase in understeer since I added my locker, maybe the new heavy duty bar will reduce the increase in understeer.

Back