• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roll Cage or rear locker?????

Keenphis

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to do the next upgrtade to the XJ. Curently on 35's with an ARB in the front and the rear is a LSD. I am running a ford 8.8 rear and when I had the 4.56 gears put in I had them rebuilt the factory LSD that it came with. But now after wheeling it a few times I am not at all impressed with how the LSD performs so I am looking to upgrade. Tossing around the ideal of either a detroit locker or the DandC cage kit. Either way it will cost me about the same amount of money. I'm just looking for the best bang for my buck. And thought I would ask some of you all that have been around the block a few times. Thanks in advance for you input.

he already has an arb in the front. if youre going over stuff you need a locker for than it sounds like a good idea to do the cage so that you know you are safe.

Locker will help performance, cage will help safety. Which is more important for you.

locker.

If you're still full body then you'll be okay in a roll. I rolled mine 1 1/2 times (hard) and was real suprised how well the B, C and D pillars held up. the A's crushed down a bit but not where my head was. Of course I'm fully caged now cuz I have no roof.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Defiantly leaning more towards the cage for safety (wife and kids), but it sure would be nice to have it fully locked at the same time, and quit having to get a tug on the same spot everytime. If you know what I mean.

If you have a locker in the front and a limited slip in the rear already. I would put a cage in it. That or do both. But put a spool in the rear for cheap and spend the extra money on a cage!

wheeling a non caged xj hard is dumb, get a cage.
you mentioned that you want a locker to go new places youve never been before, sounds like a good place to be fully caged.

a locker will help get you into places a cage is needed.

depending how much $$ you have to spend, a locker can be done for what $300? a cage, even if you built it yourself would be what, $1000?

if I had my wife and my kid(s) in the rig, a cage would be priority #1.

Rusty makes a bolt in roll over bar, 220 bucks, and leaves you money for the locker. then upgrade to a cage later.

i dont know how strong that rusty roll bar is. I've never read anything about them, but if nothing else its a start.

Last edited:
yeah with the wife and kids i would go cage.

yeah with the wife and kids i would go cage.

Rusty makes a bolt in roll over bar, 220 bucks, and leaves you money for the locker. then upgrade to a cage later.

i dont know how strong that rusty roll bar is. I've never read anything about them, but if nothing else its a start.

That roll bar is crap. It even says in fine print "for display/cosmetic purposes only" or something like that. It wont do anything to help you in a roll over. That is, of course, if I am thinking of the same "roll bar" as you.

Made up my mind roll cage it is going to put my order in on Monday. After some research, some you tube, and all your repsonses, I don't want to eat my A pillars. Would much rather cage it and if I roll it I can just chop it vs putting some sheet metal in my head. Locker will come, till then I will learn to pick my lines. Thanks for all the reply's guys.

Check out the T&J roll cage kit. They are in the City of Orange, so you can pick it up in person and save on shipping. Plus the red-letter discount will save you more than enough to go red.

Best (still low quality) shot i could find
IMG_0586.jpg

Souske, that is one of them I have been tossing around, I called and they have one on the shelf so it is just a matter of driving down there. How long did the install take if you mind my asking.

Souske, that is one of them I have been tossing around, I called and they have one on the shelf so it is just a matter of driving down there. How long did the install take if you mind my asking.
It took us about 6 hours to install it. Figure on spending a few hours removing interior pieces and painting it afterward.

Back