• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Oil Pressure (Should I be concerned?)

My oil pressure is reading 80 while driving 55-60 mph. I haven't driven any faster. What would cause high oil pressure?

Likely a bad sender. What does it read when you are idling?

That’s a good question. I just went outside and started it up, drove it a few 100 yards and parked it and it idles at 80.

How much does a new oil sender cost for a 2000 XJ?

30$ish.

Thanks Sam, I'll get one ordered.

hmmm sounds like mine might be bad then too lol. cold, when i turn it on it stays at 80 no matter what rpm until warm. but it does fluxuate when warm, so maybe its not broken :dunno:

Mine does the same thing, or at least it did the other day when I first noticed it. I kinda freaked when I first noticed it when driving. Once I came to a stop light, it went back down to 60 or so at a warm idle. But when I went out and started it 30 min. ago, it hit 80 and stayed there.

mine did the same thing... the wire was all junked up. i cleaned the sender witha wire brush and put a new connector on the wire. works great.

mine did the same thing... the wire was all junked up. i cleaned the sender witha wire brush and put a new connector on the wire. works great.

Hmmmm, I might have to try that. I couldn’t seem to find the part on Rock Auto, so I guess I will buy one at the dealer if your trick doesn't work.

it should work most of the time its a bad connection. they get full of dirt and oil. if not the part is cheap and its an easy fix.

it should work most of the time its a bad connection. they get full of dirt and oil. if not the part is cheap and its an easy fix.

Thanks for the info. I will let you know how it goes.

Rockauto: Electrical - switch & relay ~$35

OEM: only ~$6 more at various online Mopar discounters (e.g. wholesalemopar.com -- chassis/electrical/senders)

Back