• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 AW-4 does not like 4th gear much

Rescue xj

NAXJA Forum User
Aloha everyone. My jeep has decided to not play well with fourth gear. After a good 10 minutes of mixed driving, when on the highway, it will suddenly slip into third and require an increase or decrease in speed to get back to fourth. Yesterday I found myself going 45mph in 3rd at 2000rpm.

Last year the tranny was replaced with a jy one. After experiencing this problem twice in one day, I replaced the throttle position sensor, adjusted the kickdown cable in the FSM method, and cleared the ECM volatile memory (d/c hot cables, hold to chassis for 30 seconds...reconnect..key to on headlights on/off, key off). After this work, a test drive revealed my jeeps peppiness reminiscent of when I bought it many moons and miles ago, however once on the highway the problem emerged once again. Slacking the kick down cable seemed to help a slight bit.

Is there a solenoid or anything that goes bad? I had to replace a solenoid and transducer in Mandys ZJ last year when it wouldnt go into 4th at all.

Have you tried disconnecting the TCM, and shifting manually?

Back