• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A-999/32RH behind 4.0 Comanche?

tbburg

NAXJA Forum User
Converting the race truck to 4WD. Could keep an AW-4 in it, but:

- We don't really need O.D.
- Cool is your friend, and the AW-4s make a LOT of heat compared to most other autos.
- The AW is big, and heavy. -904 probably weighs 50 lb less then the AW.
- Ditching all the electronic controls is not necessarily a bad thing.
- Having full control over 1st and 2nd gears without some kind of piggy back control/switch would be nice.

So I'm researching a swap. Fooling around today, I located a couple of cores. They're 92-95 4.0 YJ Wrangler transmissions, which I thought were A-904s. According to some reading I've done, they should be A-999s. Just to add to the fun, according to the guys at Airpark Chrysler/Jeep, they're 32RHs.

OK, whatever,... My original plan was either to modify the bell housing to fit the stock CPS from the truck's EMS/FI where it belongs in relation to the flywheel(tricky, but doable), or get a CPS relocation kit(expensive, but easy)
Looking over the housings, I see that there is already a CPS mounted in the same approximate location as on the AW-4, but an entirely different design sensor. This brings up a third possible option: Use the YJ Wrangler sensor.

Anybody done a swap like this: 3spd auto into either a XJ or a TJ? Any info?
Any thoughts?

I believe skullver had a built 904 in his JS XJ. ZJ's had 42/46rh's which are similar to the 904. Possibly use the ZJ setup?

I am familiar with 2 wheel drive A-904's from my previous addiction to Mopar and Dodge Darts. I upgraded my 70 and 65 904 to a late 70's A-999 because they had larger servos for the band apply levers. I ran a 360 with 400 ft lbs of torque at the fly wheel in one, and a 273 with considerably less torque but I would take it to 6K when needed.

Also, some big dog's running Hemi's would adapt them to use in drag racing as they had less parasitic loss and were lighter than the 727's. Of course, they beefed up everything with billet this and 6 planetary assemblies in place of 3.

So, while there may be better transmissions available. I would not have any concerns about running one if it was built right.

Charles B.

Mine were built by Butch Lightfeldt, and purchased at Mayo Performance in Corona, CA. I will ask Jason Mayo if he even works on the 4x4 versions of this transmission.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, guys. Also thanks to Skullver for getting back to me. 'Still trying to find info on the YJ CPS. If i turn up anything interesting/entertaining, I'll update the thread.

Back