• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap mod for sleeping in the XJ

jeepingben

NAXJA Forum User
I sleep in my jeep every few weeks, and I have tried various ways of keeping the bugs out while still ventilating. Over the weekend, I cut up a window screen with a twisted side and holes in part of the screen material to make this:

(link since including pictures doesn't seem to work for me)
http://jeepingben.homelinux.net/index.php?level=album&id=34

1214-dscf2520.jpg

1212-dscf2518.jpg
1213-dscf2519.jpg

dscf2520.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
how tall are you. I'm 6 3" and can fit diagnally and I like not having to pitch a tent but it's just a little tough. This was with the backseat folded over but if I take the bottom out and move the front seats up I should have alot more room. Actually 1st time (only time so far) I went camping with the xj my friend ran out of the time to pitch his tent and slept in the passenger seat pushed all the way back while I fitted in the back

I'm about 6'0", I can stretch out if the front seat is forward. I had to be diagonal in my '91XJ, so something must have changed with the 97+.

Most of the time I would rather set up a tent, but lately I have been camping in the Jeep to catch the Isle au Haut ferry at 7am.

I hope there aren't noseeums (biting midges) in my campsite as they can fit through normal screen mesh.

I thought of doing something like that but just take some screen and a roll of magnet tape and cut the screen to fit on the outside of the door and magnet to it that way I can roll them up when I'm not useing them.

I thought of doing something like that but just take some screen and a roll of magnet tape and cut the screen to fit on the outside of the door and magnet to it that way I can roll them up when I'm not useing them.

I was thinking the exact same thing and I have a roll of new screen in the garage. Planning on using the Jeep as my tent in a few weeks

Back