• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowest gear for stock carrier with 3:55 gears

bmsmalley

NAXJA Forum User
What is the lowest gear I put on the stock carrier in my Chry 8.25/D30 HP? Want to regear for 33"/35" and hoping I can do it without changing the carrier to save money.

4.11 methinks. For sure before you do 4.56

The carrier isn't that expensive.

Search, read the FAQs at th top of the screen. Buy a new carrier, they're cheap. Heck, buy a locker and get both done at once.

EDIT: Pretty sure the break is at 3.73 for D30. 8.25's, the break is so far down that it makes no difference for us.

You need a new carrier for the front axle. As twodoorXJ said, 3.54 is the low end for that carrier. The stock carrier for the C-8.25 is already on the low side of the break. You can go clear down to 4.88 with it.
Let's be honest though. If you're fitting 33"s or 35"s, you should probably look into lockers of some type.(unless it's a street jeep)

Randy's Ring&Pinion has a great web site for looking that kind of info up. Here's their page for the Cherokee:
http://www.ringpinion.com/DiffSide....eID=7&Make=Jeep&ModelID=393&Model=XJ+Cherokee

Last edited:
3.54 and down 3.73 and up for the turdy.

Im pretty sure its 3.72 down (or 3.55 down however you like to say it) and 3.73 up, otherwise the 3.55 that is stock on 75% of cherokees would fall into some sort of carrier black hole

You need a new carrier for the front axle. As twodoorXJ said, 3.54 is the low end for that carrier. The stock carrier for the C-8.25 is already on the low side of the break. You can go clear down to 4.88 with it.
Let's be honest though. If you're fitting 33"s or 35"s, you should probably look into lockers of some type.(unless it's a street jeep)

Randy's Ring&Pinion has a great web site for looking that kind of info up. Here's their page for the Cherokee:
http://www.ringpinion.com/DiffSide....eID=7&Make=Jeep&ModelID=393&Model=XJ+Cherokee

you can still lock a 3.73 up carrier without getting a full case locker, just sayin

FYI chrysler 8.25 carrier break is at 2.45 down & 2.56 up. lol

FYI chrysler 8.25 carrier break is at 2.45 down & 2.56 up. lol
I knew it was in the 2.40-2.60 range. I can just never remember the exact number, and didn't feel like looking it up.

Yeah, you can toss an Aussie or other insert locker in a D30, but it's a better idea to get a full case locker, especially if you're gonna be on 33s or 35s. Do people run it with success? Yes, but for me and my piece of mind, I'm waiting til I can afford a full case locker before I lock my D30.

Back