• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 30 one piece conversion- how to remove intermediate shaft bearing?

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
so i just swapped a front end i built up mildly into a buddys rig
- 4.10s, lockrite, with bigger newer style ABS shafts, LCA skids -
and i replaced the inner axle seal with the napa one that everyone uses(forgot the part number) and made a block off plate.
we went to slide in the big guy and he is too wide for the intermediate shaft bearing, we were running lae so we swapped a 260 one peice shaft we had lying around for the meantime.
what is the easiest way to remove that bearing?
obviously we can pull the carrier and the driver side shaft but i was thinking more like some kind of extension on a slide hammer or something like that?
anyone make their own tool for this before?

I think I had to pull the carrier...

yah thats what i didnt feel like doing right after i installed the carrier and locker and shafts and threw it under his jeep, but it wont take long to pull if thats the worst case.

i was thinking some kind of slide hammer attachment or somthing or is there not enough force coming off a slide hammer to unseat the bearing?

yah thats what i didnt feel like doing right after i installed the carrier and locker and shafts and threw it under his jeep, but it wont take long to pull if thats the worst case.

i was thinking some kind of slide hammer attachment or somthing or is there not enough force coming off a slide hammer to unseat the bearing?

Yeah, I don't remember how hard I had to hit it, but I think it was pretty firmly. IIRC, I used a bar from the driver side to hit it out. It's not a huge bearing... and you're not going to re-use it again, so try the slide hammer, who knows, it could work. :dunno:

Back