• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anyone replaced the front driveshaft/transfer case strap with a U bolt?

Demolition_x

NAXJA Forum User
I am having some u joint problems and I am sure it is probably my front drive shaft. I tried removing the bolts for the strap at the transfer case and they just rounded the heads of the bolts. Has anyone replaced the strap with U bolts like you can for the rear shaft?

I know its tight up there with the u joints and the flange for the yoke but I cant get the bolts out and was just going to chisel the heads off.

I would rather go into doing this project knowing someone has done it before...

Thanks in advanced

There are no "straps" on the t-case side of the front driveshaft.

Well they are like reverse straps. The "Strap" is threaded where as the axle straps are not.

I am trying to remove the driveshaft and cannot budge those bolts and there is limited room to get those bolts out.
huh?? :anon:

huh?? :anon:
this is what it looks like...

DSC08258.jpg

Answered your own question!You need to be using a 6 point wrench!
Anyway,the part you are refering to is the "centering ball" part of the CV joint.

I am having some u joint problems and I am sure it is probably my front drive shaft. I tried removing the bolts for the strap at the transfer case and they just rounded the heads of the bolts. Has anyone replaced the strap with U bolts like you can for the rear shaft?

I know its tight up there with the u joints and the flange for the yoke but I cant get the bolts out and was just going to chisel the heads off.

I would rather go into doing this project knowing someone has done it before...

Thanks in advanced

has everyone missed this? Assuming the picture posted isnt current and they are actually rounded then the wrench he is using is kind of a moot point.

FYI OP, you cant use a strap on that instead of the bolts. The bolts go from the TC yoke into a yoke on the DS, there is no strap on the DS like on the rear DS, its more or less two yokes bolted together to capture the U joint

:D Yup. I looked it up when you said they were close enough. It is amazing how much that tiny ammount makes. You can take a 8mm and it just spins on my driveshaft bolts. Use a 5/16 and off they come.
exactly. the right tool the first time, can effectively cut down on labor time

has everyone missed this? Assuming the picture posted isnt current and they are actually rounded then the wrench he is using is kind of a moot point.

FYI OP, you cant use a strap on that instead of the bolts. The bolts go from the TC yoke into a yoke on the DS, there is no strap on the DS like on the rear DS, its more or less two yokes bolted together to capture the U joint

I understand that. I didn't know how to explain it. The picture is just borrowed off the internet.

Like others have said, a u-bolt will not work there. Rounding off those bolts is fairly common, since due to threadlocker they require a fairly high break-loose torque out of a 5/16 head, on top of being fairly soft metal to begin with (in my experience). 6 point wrenches help.

I had to dremel and chisel one of mine off, and afterwards replaced all 4 with grade 8 bolts. I think the diameter is 5/16" on these, and the hardware store 5/16" screws had a 1/2" head, which works fine and is much harder to round off. I'm not sure why they used a special reduced-head screw there, besides the ability to service all driveshaft connections with a single 5/16" wrench.

I asked if you could replace the strap / yoke half thing with a U Bolt. The bolt heads are rounded and vice grips cannot get them off.

:dunno:

Back