• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vehicle Speed Sensor - repair?

Walt Stanley

Pine Barrens Trucker
I have speed control, or whatever it's called. It has become erratic and a error check at AutoZone said it was a bad VSS, for about $140. I will check the connections first, but just in case, is this thing repairable?

Thanks, Walt
'98, 4WD, 6cyl.

What four digit Check Engine Light error codes were downloaded ?

AutoZone did the check. They said I had a bad O2 sensor and Vehicle Speed Sensor.
At about $140 for the sensor, I thought I check this out first.
I did the O2 sensor, cleaned the VSS contacts and after driving around a little, the Check Engine light came on again.
Walt

How many fingers am I holding up ?

You describing what IdiotZone told you has about the same results. Download the four digit trouble codes and post them here so we can both talk about the exact same thing. Once we know what to test and where to look for malfunctions, somebody will be able to point you to the necessary info or test procedures.

A loose connector or a broken wire looks the same to the ECU as a failed sensor, so the codes a vital part of troubleshooting.

Last edited:
Went back to AutoZone to check the error code and it did not show up. The problem is intermittent. Sometime the CruiseControl works fine for a while and then it just cuts out. If it's working and I have to Cancel it, it will not re-start.
If I turn off the Jeep, go under the hood and wiggle the connector or cables, it will usually work again, for a while. I cleaned all the connectors I could find, I will have to really check out the vacuum lines, then if it's a computer problem, I done with it.

Walt

is your speedometer working? On mine the speedometer started to go first, then it will idle rough. Also if anyone scans your computer just write down the codes and do your own search. The vehicle speed sensor is located in the output section of the transfer case. if you have a 2wd then its located in the output section of the transmission. I just replaced mine about a month ago. The part is not $140. Just the sensor is $30 the whole unit which also includes the speedo gear is 140.

Thanks for the info. I went back to AutoZone for another check, and the speed error did not show up. My speedometer is fine. Vacuum seems good too. It may be the servo. I hope it's not the computer.
Thanks, Walt

Back