• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full cut and fold of rear fender wells.

AwesomeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I've been searching all the terms I can think of but still haven't found what I'm looking for.

I do not want to cut a skinny little strip off my fender. I also do not want to cut sissy slits into my fender and tap the little strips with a hammer.
So before someone tries to point me in that direction READ THE WHOLE POST. Thank you

I want to cutout the pinch seem and fold the remaining sheet metal so that when you look at the well the top is evenly flat and as high as it can be without completely remaking the well. I've seen tons of xj's with this done but haven't found a single right up. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
thats the end result I want but instead of cutting out the hump and welding in new sheet metal I wanna use the existing sheet metal plus I have a 2dr and our wells are slightly different than the 4dr. ie... we don't have a door right there. In my mind if I'm going to cut out the well hump I might as well completely remove it and remake a hump that goes all the way up to the bottom of my window. which I've done a lot of times. I wanna trim the outside of the sheet metal above the fenders and seperate the 2 pieces from the seam and fold the inner sheet over the outside to create a new fender edge. I know I may just have to give it a shot and post up my own thread. I just wanted to see if someone else has already done and has made a write up.

thats not what i'm trying to do but if i were to cutout the humps thats what i would do so i could if i chose to in the future. I have a fairly high amount of up travel in the rear. I have a 6in. lift. and 33x12.50 mtr kevlars. I am trying to get the most amount of room out of the fenders as possible without having to remove my interior ad chop out the hump and make new ones. ya i COULD run larger bump stops and just stick to the little 1.5 inches of clearance that the tap with a hammer method gives. but I want full flex not what just looks pretty on the street. F that .

054.jpg

As I pointed out earlier, I just did the cut and hammer and on 4.5-5" of lift out back with large 33s (these MTRs are bigger than my Pro Comp MTs by probably almost an inch...) I've got about 3-4" of travel to the fender, and with my offset (wheels are -12, which I think is around 4.25" backspacing), the tires tuck up into the fender well rather hitting sheet metal. I've not had a problem with the tires hitting the fenders. Might save you a little work. :dunno:

I think I understand what you are trying to do aaron... Cut out the side of the body to open up the fender. The fender well slopes downwards from the fender well pinch seam toward the outside of the body. You want to hammer that up level to where it will meet the edge of your new cut fender opening then reweld it? If im understanding this correctly... The problem is the fender well is formed in a round shape. Its like trying to flatten or "unroll" this shape. http://www.google.com/search?q=soli...tbnw=144&ved=1t:722,r:8,s:15&biw=1003&bih=612

Its not possible without deformation or cutting alot of little slits in it.

are you wanting to just fold the lil pinch seam that the flair bolts too up for more clearance?

I beat mine till it was folded up past the pinch weld and pretty much flat to the inner fender, plenty of room for 33x12.50 MTRs on 4.5". up to the point where the fender curves you can just beat it with a hammer or mallet or something, but in the curve I cut two or three slits and beat those sections flat as well. Its all folded up well past the pinch seam, just use some sort of sealer in there and some paint so it doesnt get full of mud or water and youre good to go

In answer to the op's question is that not many people cut past the pinch seam due to the welding issue. It can be done just that not many want to undergo the project. If it was me I would focus on cutting the outer fender about 1 inch past the inner wheel well then fold that into the wheel well. After doing that I would use that lip to weld to the inner fender area then seal off the holes left with some seam sealer and be done.

are you worried about your paint at all because there is now way to do it without messing it up. there is not really a way to do this because you will have a very sharp edge where you re weld the sheet metal together. i have seen it done but every time i have seen it done the guy used round stock to weld the metal to. ill look for the thread and try to post it up. i know exactly what youre talkiing about. i was going to do it to my xj but i didnt have the balls.

Back