• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to find 1985 XJ Fuel Strainer/Sock

Green Mesa XJ

NAXJA Forum User
In the process of replacing the gas tank and tracking down the pegged fuel gauge error, now I am just about ready to button it up but i can't find another sock for the in tank intake tube.

It is a 1985 XJ, with a 2.8 v6 carburetor and with a mechanical fuel pump on the engine.

Which creates a new problem since most of the fuel Strainer available now are for in take electric pumps. Totally different from the non electric pumps.

I contacted Jeep (part no longer available), all of the local auto parts houses do not have a listing, and the original crumbled to nothing when it was pulled out.

What should I do? Is there another jeep model that would be similar enough? Ford or Chevy maybe?

That is a rolled up piece of brass screen, right? Most pickup "socks" are just that. The screen used to be had at any hardware store, but became hard to get once the kids discovered with some of this you could build a pipe out of about anything. You can still find it in some hobby stores. Just roll it up, solder the edges together and fold the end over.

That is a rolled up piece of brass screen, right? Most pickup "socks" are just that. The screen used to be had at any hardware store, but became hard to get once the kids discovered with some of this you could build a pipe out of about anything. You can still find it in some hobby stores. Just roll it up, solder the edges together and fold the end over.

Actually it is a plastic strainer/filter, the pushes on the end of the intake tube. Very similar to the modern ones except those are usually fitted wider for an electric fuel pump.

But I do think you are right I can probably make a substitute out of anything.

That Pegasus filter might work.

Also the Jtruck kind of filter might do as well.

My quick Google search results
“1985 XJ Fuel Strainer Sock”
http://www.hhrvpark.com/fuel-filter/
-----------------------------
“Fram Fuel Filter”
http://www.framcatalog.com/Application.aspx?b=F
-------------------------
“Fuel sock”
http://www.jtruck.net/tech/fuelsock-sendingunit/index.html

(I don't know how I posted this twice, I posted it once last night then I couldn't get to the forum, I assumed it didn't go through and I'd have to post it today, shocked to see it had responses :) )

Here is what the Filter/sock looks like
xjsock006.jpg

xjsock007.jpg

xjsock008.jpg

I was hoping there would be a another Jeep, Chevy or Ford part similar enough to use.

I've still got our stock 84 one sitting around in a box, if you can't come up with anything lemme know and I can grab the sock off of it. "Only" 170,000+ miles, so I'm sure it's clean ;)

Like you I'm inclined to think it's not a Jeep specific part, you'll just have to figure out what else would have used that setup.

My son reminded me today just how old these things are getting to be, then the woman at Autozone commented that "Jeeps were hard to find parts for" ... I must be getting old too.

Bill

I found a 3/8" Vertical Fuel Pick-Up Screen Filter (FS-FS06) that might work, similar to the horizontal one at Pegasus. It is the closest thing I can find to the original. I'll give it a try and see what happens. Pretty sure I can make it work.

I've been scouring the online catalogs and I can't find a similar factory strainer/sock/filter from the same era. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a crossover somewhere. Heck this is they dying days of AMC, the parts could be form anywhere, motor is Chevy, transmission Toyota(?), Dana axles (well the rear is a 8.8 ford now :) ).

When I first got her in the late 90's the blower motor was burned out, Autozone said there was no replacement available for it, so took it out and with the sales guy compared it with the motors on the shelf until it matched up. But now that the grand old machine has past 20 years nobody is keeping the parts on hand anymore, the amount of stuff Jeep no longer carries for it is amazing. I buy some parts lots on ebay I don't need yet but know I'll never find when I do need them. Thankfully most of the XJ years have interchangeable parts, just the early years can be a bit of hit and miss.

I'll let you all know how it works out.

Could you use a small piece of brass elbow and put a regular strainer on it

Trust me I know what you're going through my 85 Cadillac was the first year for its body and engine and there are a lot of 1-yr-only parts on it

That link didn't work for me, and I'll probable need one pretty soon for the kids 85 2.5 I4

According to the main link (http://www.4wd.com/) they are down for maintenance, I hope that is all. It is june 1st maybe it was planed. (OR so I keep hoping, hate for them to have been hacked 12 hours after they get my credit card)

We Apologize,

4WD.com is currently offline for maintenance.

Please call 800-555-3353 with any questions. Our customer service representatives will be happy to help you place an order.

Back