• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ALTERNATOR BRACKET MOUNTING ISSUE

SANDTRIBE

NAXJA Forum User
I GOT A 1991 CHEROKEE 4.0 , I REBUILT THE MOTOR AND OVER THE LAST YEAR I HAVE TORN DOWN A 1989 AND A 1991 SO I HAVE A SLEW OF DIFFERENT CRAP FOR DIFFERENT YEARS .... I NEED TO SEE IF ANYONE HAS AND DIAGRAMS OR SCHEMATICS OR PICS OF THE CORRECT BRACKETS AND WAY OF MOUNTING THEM ON THE 1991... PLEASE HELP IVE DUMPED MY SATURDAY INTO THIS TRYING TO SEE HOW ITS SUPPOSED TO WORK AND IM OVER IT... ONE OF MY BRACKETS IS THE ONE WITH THE FAN CLUTCH MOUNT AND IDLER , OTHER IS JUST THE IDLER AND ALTERNATOR TOP MOUNT ... HELP

The bracket for the 91 has the A/C compressor on top and the alternator on bottom, an idler, and the fan pulley mount sticking out the center. The four holes on top are to screw the A/C compressor down on the bracket.

IMG00115-20090521-1554.jpg

The alternator goes underneath, with two small pieces that hold it against the block and the bracket. This one is for the rear, it bolts to the block (the two holes on the ground) and then the alternator bolts to the front of it (the large holes on the ears)

IMG00113-20090521-1553.jpg

The front piece is stamped steel not cast aluminum and has a few holes in it. That piece goes on the front and clamps the alternator in place against the rear brackets. Here's a pic of the bracket upside down

2702391940087602441S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:
Note in Ehall's nice illustrations above the second photograph of the aluminum bracket. In that bracket is a bushing, and when the through bolt is tightened (the one that the alternator pivots on) that bushing is pushed snug against the alternator. To fit a new alternator in, you may need to push that bushing out a bit for clearance.

Back