• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring Taurus fan on an '00 XJ

ShovelFLH

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. I purchased a refurbed Taurus fan and a custom made relay harness off of eBay. The harness is really well made but I think it has an extra relay that I don't need for my application. My intent was to wire the low speed to a 195 degree temp switch and wire the high speed to the stock aux fan. No manual on/off switches for my application.

A link to the schematic is below. The harness has 4 relays and, by the schematic, should be wired: 1 x relay wired to the ignition, 1 x relay wired to a 195 temp sender for low, 1 x relay to a 200 degree sender for high, and 1 x relay wired to the AC compressor for high. Can I just wire the relay for the 220 sender to the aux fan and not use the relay for the AC? It seems like I can. The only purpose the relay to the AC compressor would be as a redundancy. Am I tracking? I asked the seller but didn't get a clear answer.

schematic.jpg

No, you need it as is if I get what you are trying to do. All you are doing is substituting the sensor for a manual high speed switch and bypassing your manual cutoff switch in this diagram.

Understood thats what the diagram shows. I'm asking if I can not use the 220 temp and just wire the the aux fan to the high relay-- no need for the AC relay. I think I can do this, unless I'm missing something.

I am running AC, the question is can the relay for the 220 temp sender be wired to the aux fan instead of a sender and not use the relay for the AC at all? The aux fan turns on when the coolant reaches 220 degrees OR when or the AC comes on. Seems the AC relay has no purpose.

In order for the AC to work correctly, you are going to want to tap into the wire that controls the aux fan. I don't have that wiring in mine so I am not sure on the relay. But if you use the fan wire off the fan relay, they you would have a better set up I think. That way the high speed would only come on when the aux fan comes on. It would also be unaffected by the AC unless the compressor was operating.

Back