• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about the Chrysler 8.25 27 spline and lockers...

ericfx1984

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport with the 4.0HO, 3" lift, cut fenders and 285/75/16 (they measure 33.2" tall and 11.25 wide)

this Jeep is a daily driver and is on the highway often

I have the HP Dana 30 in the front and a Chrysler 8.25 in the rear...

do to the fact that it is a 1996, the rear end is likely a 27 spline...

if it is a 27 spline is it worth buying a lunch box locker? or should I just weld it up and keep my eyes open for a 29 spline and lunch box that?

Last edited:
I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport with the 4.0HO, 3" lift, cut fenders and 285/75/16 (they measure 33.2" tall and 11.25 wide)

this Jeep is a daily driver and is on the highway often

I have the HP Dana 30 in the front and a Chrysler 8.25 in the rear...

do to the fact that it is a 1996, the rear end is likely a 27 spline...

if it is a 27 spline is it worth buying a lunch box locker? or should I just weld it up and keep my eyes open for a 29 spline and lunch box that?

What kind of wheeling do you do with the Cherokee? Rocks and hard sh*t I would upgrade to 29 spline shafts. Easier stuff try the lunch box on 27 spline shafts if it breaks upgrade to 29 spline shafts.
If you do easy stuff, and since it is your DD you only end up wheeling once or twice a month, the 27 spline shafts will probably be fine, unless you are running very aggressive tires and use the skinny petal all the time.

I've had a PowerTrax in my '96 w/ 27 spline for years and wouldn't be without it.

The only way to be absolutely sure yours is 27 is to pull an axle and count. FWIW mine was made in Nov. '95.
I picked up the locker from another member who didn't check first.

I've had a PowerTrax in my '96 w/ 27 spline for years and wouldn't be without it.

The only way to be absolutely sure yours is 27 is to pull an axle and count. FWIW mine was made in Nov. '95.
I picked up the locker from another member who didn't check first.

My 96 was built two months earlier than that. It also has the 27 spline c8.25, FWIW. I don't know that anyone has ever been able to pin down the switchover date.

I've had a lockright in mine for 3 years until I upgraded to a d44.
I ran 33" boggers in rocks with a heavy foot and never broke a shaft.

I ran a no-slip in my 97 for 8 years and it was still happy when I sold it. If you are going to do a lunchbox, then go ahead and brag a set of 29 spline axles out of the JY. For discs, Libby discs and e-brake cables bolt in. Just make sure to replace the lug studs with longer ones. Use of the studs from the front end work just fine for length. Some relatively minor rework of the brake hard line is needed. Google cherokee+libby+rear+disc. It was documented over on cherokeeforum.

Back