• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

u-bolt strength

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Need new u-bolts for a swap and am looking around at options. Of course the RE u-bolt kits are no longer available. The other popular u-bolt listed on the jeep sites is the OMEU57 for the 8.25 but no other data. I called ARB USA and talked to a guy there who looked up thread size and said it was M12. Yikes! The RE bolts were 14mm (9/16") and I can get 13mm (1/2") bolts locally. 12mm is just small... But looking around I can't find anybody posting that they've broken them or anything either. Maybe they stretch easily instead of snapping?

What do you guys think

Have a local spring shop? Theres a place in Philly (DelVal Spring) a few of us locals have hit up, cheap and iirc mine are 1/2" or better. They bend them right there for us.

Have a local spring shop? Theres a place in Philly (DelVal Spring) a few of us locals have hit up, cheap and iirc mine are 1/2" or better. They bend them right there for us.

That's what I do... local shop, perfect every time $15 each.

Any quality u-bolt will work. I like the 9/16" ones that I have used for a few years now.

Crown stock replacement u-bolts for the 8.25 (52004010) are 13mm (1/2"). However stock is probably grade 5, OME guy did say theirs were high grade (probably class 10 didn't say)

NAPA u-bolts are 5/8 but they are also grade 5.... and $25 each

always check ruffstuff first I guess

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/UB3.html

This is a pretty much our standard U-bolt made for 3" diameter axles, the exceptions are that they are .625" (5/8) Rolled Threads for extra strength and the threading is 5" long so they will fit! Cut off what you don't need after they are on, and they are also Grade 8. If they fit use them (if they don't fit drill your plates until they do)! All of our U-bolt plates are recomended to use 5/8" U bolts. Comes with Tallnuts and Thick cut 1/4" Washers. U-Bolts are Sold each.

Actually I would like to get bigger and better but honestly 5/8 is overkill. Other parts on the jeep have to be adapted to use bolts that big and they'd be a pain to flex for installation at that size. There is a fleetpride chain up the road a ways and the bolts they sell for 18-wheelers are are 1/2... 5/8 is just overkill. I wish ruffstuff made some 9/16 bolts for puss jeeps like mine though, I want to support vendors when I can.

Actually I would like to get bigger and better but honestly 5/8 is overkill. Other parts on the jeep have to be adapted to use bolts that big and they'd be a pain to flex for installation at that size. There is a fleetpride chain up the road a ways and the bolts they sell for 18-wheelers are are 1/2... 5/8 is just overkill. I wish ruffstuff made some 9/16 bolts for puss jeeps like mine though, I want to support vendors when I can.

I used their 8.8 swap kit and it came with the 5/8" u-bolts. So no drilling out holes nor did I have to flex em to make them fit... piece of cake really. I check them every other oil change and they haven't loosed up once. I like the fact that they're overkill and beefy. I guess its a piece of mind thing when I'm dragging them over rocks...

Back