• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear brakes pulsing (axle seal leaking)

chad

NAXJA Forum User
1989 Cherokee limited
4.0L
Auto
NP242

Rear axle is a D35 with track lok.
When I'm slowing down the rear brakes will pulse and then the last few rotations before I stop it also makes a quick chirp as it pulses. I know it's the rear because it does it whe I just use the ebrake too. I just pulled the drums off on my break at work and noticed the passenger side has grease leaking out around the axle shaft and there's a lot of greasy brake dust build up around the shoes. could the grease on the shoes and drum cause the pulsing? If I need to pull the axle to change the seal, how can I know if it's a D35 or D35C? Any tips?
Thanks!
Chad

The Dana 35 came on most Cherokees, and was the only rear axle to be offered with ABS. This is identified by its oval shaped differential cover and rubber fill plug cover. The numbers "35c" often appear around the gusset on the center section. The "C" refers to custom - because Chrysler finished the axle in house. There were 2 main variations on this axle - the older style was a non-c-clip rear end and the newer style has c-clips. There were factory limited slip carriers offered for this axle.

Thanks, I know it's a 35, just don't know which one. I know it's got the factory limited slip, but not sure how to tell if it's the c clip one or semi floating one. I'm hoping I don't have to pull the cover off.

an 89 should be a non c-clip.

Ok, thanks. If the bearing is still good, I should be able to replace just the seals right? It has zero play, so I think it's fine.

Ok, so I'm pretty sure it's the semi floating axle.

Now, do you guys think the shoes being contaminated by the grease could cause the bad pulsing?

I'd make sure it is actually the axle seal and not the brake cylinder leaking. The brake cylinder is a lot more common. That pulsing is normal for soggy brake shoes, they suck up fluids and swell, they are porous.
Pull back the dust cover on the brake cylinder a little and see what drips out. If you open just the *front* of the brake cylinder dust cover it is a lot easier to get back on.

I'd make sure it is actually the axle seal and not the brake cylinder leaking. The brake cylinder is a lot more common. That pulsing is normal for soggy brake shoes, they suck up fluids and swell, they are porous.
Pull back the dust cover on the brake cylinder a little and see what drips out. If you open just the *front* of the brake cylinder dust cover it is a lot easier to get back on.

I'll double check the brake cylinders, but I'm sure the axle seal is bad because I can see the grease coming out around the shaft it's self. Then it runs down the backing plate and drips onto the drum. The rest of the backing plate is dry. Had the drums turned and I'm picking up the rest of the parts in the morning.

IIRC, the non c-clip axle shaft will have a hole drilled through the drum mounting surface to allow you access to the retaining plate bolts and the c-clip shafts will be solid.

Back