• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Calipers + Hydroboost?

Markos

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Folks,

I have a brake related question.

Say that I wanted to upgrade to some very large calipers that required more than your standard MC from the Jeep lineup. The closest match would be the MC from the WK running brembos (no idea on fitment). Other options would be a durango MC, which has been documented on NAXJA. It's been about a year since I did the calculations, but a Durango MC setup was still a bit small, and required a custom extension of the push rod.

I'm wondering, would a hydroboost setup suffice? I still assume that I'd need a decent (edit: Master Cylinder) size setup, but the extra force from Hydroboost should be enough right? I'm thinking that there are a number of OEM hydroboost options that would work. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Bigger calipers require more volume, not necessarily more pressure.

Hydroboost provides more pressure than vacuum assist, the bore of the master cylinder is what will affect volume.

I haven't run my setup yet, but I have a hydroboost unit out of a 2003 Superduty, and a master cylinder out of a '72 Corvette (1.125" bore).

Bigger calipers require more volume, not necessarily more pressure.

Hydroboost provides more pressure than vacuum assist, the bore of the master cylinder is what will affect volume.

I haven't run my setup yet, but I have a hydroboost unit out of a 2003 Superduty, and a master cylinder out of a '72 Corvette (1.125" bore).

Yeah I get that. I was thinking though that if I go to hydroboost, it may be less fabrication to upgrade the MC at ths same time since I don't have to worry about the booster fitment and what not.

Master cylinders are one of the few things that I've never touched on a vehicle purely due to luck, and lack of serious brake modifications. I'm a bit worried about the trial and error factor of a one-off master cylinder.

You do realize there's more fabrication going to hydroboost then just converting to a different master cylinder right?

Do a search on Pirate4x4.

I believe the master cylinder you want comes off a late model Dodge 2500. Like a 2001 or something. Can't remember.

You do realize there's more fabrication going to hydroboost then just converting to a different master cylinder right?

Do a search on Pirate4x4.

I believe the master cylinder you want comes off a late model Dodge 2500. Like a 2001 or something. Can't remember.

I definitely need to do more research on the master cylinder end of things. If I go with the bigger rotors, I have a ton of fab work to do anyway. As long as I match the MC to the brakes I should be fine, but I don't want to fab something up and have to swap master cylinders.

I guess it was Vetteboy's writeup that I'm thinking of. You are correct that it's a 2500 MC. I suppose if all I need is an extension for the pushrod, this is probably a heck of a lot easier than adding hydroboost into the mix.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=950172

I honestly wasn't considering hydroboost until I learned of all of the OE setups that could work and cost significantly less than the vanco setup.

I am running Vanco Hydro-boost with his 2 piston caliber in the front and TSM Caddy calibers in the rear.
The clamping power is awesome! I had the Hydro-boost with the stock calibers in the front; it was OK but not as good as the dual piston. Which are 98 Ford Explore calibers and disc.

Van does not recommend Wilwood aluminum caliber with Hydro-boost, there is too much pressure and you will blow the caliber apart. I would think this would be the case with any bolt together aluminum caliber. I have broken several of the bolts/pins the mount the Caddy calibers and sheared the shims off of the back side of the stock front pads. This set produces a ton of force!

Hydro-boost is the only way to go as far as I am concerned. I do feel a little lose of steering power if I stab the brake hard while I have the wheel cranked, not bad but I can feel it.

I am running Vanco Hydro-boost with his 2 piston caliber in the front and TSM Caddy calibers in the rear.
The clamping power is awesome! I had the Hydro-boost with the stock calibers in the front; it was OK but not as good as the dual piston. Which are 98 Ford Explore calibers and disc.

Van does not recommend Wilwood aluminum caliber with Hydro-boost, there is too much pressure and you will blow the caliber apart. I would think this would be the case with any bolt together aluminum caliber. I have broken several of the bolts/pins the mount the Caddy calibers and sheared the shims off of the back side of the stock front pads. This set produces a ton of force!

Hydro-boost is the only way to go as far as I am concerned. I do feel a little lose of steering power if I stab the brake hard while I have the wheel cranked, not bad but I can feel it.

Hmm good to know. I was thinking of going with OEM brembo 4 piston calipers from another make, but they aren't monoblocks.

A Bremb set up is going to cost thousands...

A new, replacement, set of calipers and disc run in the $4 grand range. Even used, they are major bucks. Sure it is worth putting in brakes that are worth (possibly) the same or more than your rig?

I have learned several things about brakes on my 88 with 35’s; Rear disc do not make a big difference in braking, they do cut down on maintenance. Going to a larger master cylinder will on increase the pedal travel and the pressure that is needed to be applied to the pedal. Hydro-Boost is awesome. The biggest bang for your bucks is to go to a dual piston front caliber.
That being said if I was to do it over I would start by getting a set of 98 Explore disc and caliber, then follow the Go-Jeep http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoFordBAdiscs1.htm write up and fab my own brackets. The final step would be Hydro-boost.
To me being able to stop is a top priority. I have no trouble stopping from 80mph or when I am looking at the lady in the car next to me and the guy in front of me slams on the brakes it traffic. Nor do I have an issue holding the XJ on a incline in 5.44 low range with 4.56 gars and 35’s.
Save yourself some money and go with the stock explorer brake or go Vanco http://www.vancopbs.com/product_p/dkj1000.htm

Back