• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tube going into front diff?

00'CherokeeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So my tube/hose that runs into the top of my 00' 4x4 Cherokee front diff keeps coming out and wont stay in. So for starters what is this hose for? How can i keep it in? And lastly am i going to lose fluid from the diff case at the top hole that is now uncovered?

1 So for starters what is this hose for? 2 How can i keep it in? 3 am i going to lose fluid from the diff case at the top hole that is now uncovered?

1 Vent hose. As the oil heats up in the diff it expands. If you didn't have a vent, the seals would fail.

2 :dunno::dunno: Got pictures?

3 Probably not enough to worry about in the short term. Over time (months) it will be an issue. The bigger problem is that dirt can get in there. And if you are off-roading and cross any water that is high enough it will get into the diff and mess things up.

No pictures but thanks though. And im still trying to rig a way to keep it in there. Like it will go in the hole but nothing keeps it from falling out. It doesn't immediately fall out but if i hit a bump or railroad tracks it comes out.

And if you are off-roading and cross any water that is high enough it will get into the diff and mess things up.

Like this!
Picture127.jpg

Cracked line in the ARB and yes thats a D35! :D

No pictures but thanks though. And im still trying to rig a way to keep it in there. Like it will go in the hole but nothing keeps it from falling out. It doesn't immediately fall out but if i hit a bump or railroad tracks it comes out.

I'll have to look at mine later.... But JB weld comes to mind.

Maybe a new, short section of tube joined to the existing tube with a connector that fits the ID of each? This way you'll have fresh (not stretched out) tube to connect to the diff, and to join both pieces together.

Maybe a new, short section of tube joined to the existing tube with a connector that fits the ID of each? This way you'll have fresh (not stretched out) tube to connect to the diff, and to join both pieces together.
....Like it will go in the hole but nothing keeps it from falling out. It doesn't immediately fall out but if i hit a bump or railroad tracks it comes out.

It sounds like the fitting at the diff is stripped out or missing.

wait they actually make an ARB for a d35?

most of the vents should have a thread fitting that goes in the hole and the tube slides onto it. maybe you can go to a local hardware store and find a fitting and re tap the threads to make it work. i sure as hell would want my diff to look like the one in the above posts.

Back