• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bastard pack question

nicky9door

NAXJA Forum User
being a jeep virgin previously i drove a 1995 ford ranger 2wd
a large tree fell on it during a storm (even made the news here)
i replaced it with a
1996 XJ 4.0L auto
while doing my safety check my mechanic noticed a small crack in the 3rd (from top) leaf on the drivers side
my question is:

if i take the rear springs from my ranger which leafs should/can i use and what lift or drop would be achieved?

Are the ranger leafs the same width? And as far as what leaf to use, that will be a trial and error to get the height you are looking for.

Some more good tech on another Ford pack.

I have done bastard pack with S-10, Dakota and Bronco II springs. They all flexe well AFTER I did a lot of leaf swapping and mixing. You get out of these bastard packs what you put into it. The Bronco II is my favorite for the following reasons:

1) It gives 4.5" lift with a 1.5" lift shackle. The shackle is always citical to getting good flex. I have 13 inches of travel with it split fairly even. I ran an RTI ramp and got a 654 on a 30 degree ramp, shock limited. I run 31's and they stuff real well.

2) You use the whole pack including the main leaf under the XJ main so there is no messing around with swapping leafs to get it to flex well.

3)The leaves are thin and the rub pads are retained. Thinner than the Dakota or S-10 leaves.

4) I uses a 3/8 center pin. I have destroyed several stock center pins (5/16?). I now upgrade to 7/16ths center pins which are a snug fit in the Bronco II pack. Still have to drill out the hole on the XJ leaf.

5) And best of all in my view is that the Bronco II spring clamp (one per pack) is riveted in place. You unfold the ears and use them to located the leaves laterally. Now the leaves are not bound up when you unload the rear and they just keep on dropping. I could probably get 14 or 15 inches of travel out of this set up if I couild find the right shock. The clamp is located in the front of the spring and is about even with the rim. It wont rub on the tires and you can run stock offset rims with 10.5's and have plenty of clearence.

6) The only negative (because I am detail oriented) is that you should/must use a teflon or HDPE liner between the XJ main and the cut down Bronco II main to get maximum flex under compression with out huge loads. This is true for all bastard pack buildups where you use the main leaf from the donor pack (after cutting off the eyes). I polish the XJ main and then bond the liner on (HDPE) using weld wood adhesive.

John

You can use the leaves, but IIRC the front of the ranger spring is much shorter than the XJ spring. You could use some of the leaves, but the S10 or Isuzu leaves will work better.

You can use the leaves, but IIRC the front of the ranger spring is much shorter than the XJ spring. You could use some of the leaves, but the S10 or Isuzu leaves will work better.
according to www.generalspringkc.com the ranger springs are
25 5/8" front to center and 31" center to rear
and XJ springs are
23" front to center and 28" center to rear

reading tech posts on making springs it seems to me that cutting the eyes off the donor(ranger) main leaf and using it as the second leaf seams to be the way to start
how much shorter should the second leaf be than the main leaf?
also
stock XJ leaf packs do not include an overload leaf (i think that's what it's called) as the bottom leaf and instead have a very small leaf
which is better from an offroad and DD standpoint (as a DD the XJ i have will be carrying about 200-300lbs of tools in back seat and trunk) (also i plan on installing a 1.5"or2" hitch receiver for hauling a trailler)

Back