• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory Tow Hooks

alever

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have factory tow hooks installed? Mine has two empty cut-outs in the bumper. I'm going to be purchasing factory fog lights to fill the one set, but want to put tow hooks in the smaller slots next to the fog lights, as I think it will make the bumper look more finished, plus I have excess to tow hooks if needed. I'm thinking about getting a pair of these off amazon:

31n5UwpAViL._SS500_.jpg

Also, with any of these tow hooks, do they fit properly in the empty cut-outs in the bumper, without any modification needed?

Well, you can try to find factory hooks...sometimes ebay has them, but probably more than they are worth.

You could cut out the section of the bumper so that the aftermarket hook clears...a dremel works nice. Check out this guy:

http://jeephorizons.com/tech/xj_hook.html

Or I jerry rigged mine using aftermarket hooks like yours with some 1.5" spacers (if I remember right) and longer bolts.

But honestly, don't know how strong it is with those spaces and longer bolts...the aftermarket hooks themselves are rated at 10K pounds. The OEMs, I believe, are only rated at 5K pounds. I figure my jerry rigged hooks are at least that strong. Besides, I think 5K pounds is probably all the brackets and frame could take...

Well, you can try to find factory hooks...sometimes ebay has them, but probably more than they are worth.

You could cut out the section of the bumper so that the aftermarket hook clears...a dremel works nice. Check out this guy:

http://jeephorizons.com/tech/xj_hook.html

Or I jerry rigged mine using aftermarket hooks like yours with some 1.5" spacers (if I remember right) and longer bolts.

But honestly, don't know how strong it is with those spaces and longer bolts...the aftermarket hooks themselves are rated at 10K pounds. The OEMs, I believe, are only rated at 5K pounds. I figure my jerry rigged hooks are at least that strong. Besides, I think 5K pounds is probably all the brackets and frame could take...

So what's the difference between factory and aftermarket, why do the bumpers need cut? They seem like they're about the same size. Just would rather not cut into the bumper.

There is just a little trimming that would need to be done on the existing openings of the endcaps.

The instructions for the Tow Hook Accessory from Mopar PN 82202864.
"Prior to installing tow hooks, the out bumper endcaps must be notched to allow the tow hooks to pass though. The diagram indicates that the existing cut out need to be extended by 1 3/8" with a 5/8 radius in the corners (drilled).

The instructions were dated 5/6/97. The Rugged Ridge set up appears to be the same with the exception of a reinforcement strap.

The opening starts 1/2" from the bottom of the cap. This is the case on both my 2000 and 2001.

Good luck.

So what's the difference between factory and aftermarket, why do the bumpers need cut? They seem like they're about the same size. Just would rather not cut into the bumper.
The position of the tow hook brackets is the same for all years. The later brackets differ only in the bumper mounts that are attached to them. The factory tow hooks for the 97-up have a much thicker base and longer bolts, to place the hook lower.

Aftermarket brackets should fit the same, and as long as they use the same bolt pattern, (including the hole in the frame that's reinforced) they should protect your Jeep from being torn apart. Some do not have all the extra braces the factory set had, so they might twist in hard use. Whether you need to cut the plastic depends not on the bracket but the hook you choose.

I'm waiting for a response from another member, but I have a pair of front tow hook brackets. They "sandwich" between the bumper brackets and the "framerail"

The aftermarket ones I've seen are essentially the same as the factory, except that the factory ones have the bumper brackets welded on. If there are no bumper brackets, you sandwich them instead. Why the factory ones are made that way, I don't know. If you found a set of factory brackets for the wrong year range, you could grind off the bumper brackets and sandwich them like the aftermarket ones.

The aftermarket ones I've seen are essentially the same as the factory, except that the factory ones have the bumper brackets welded on. If there are no bumper brackets, you sandwich them instead. Why the factory ones are made that way, I don't know. If you found a set of factory brackets for the wrong year range, you could grind off the bumper brackets and sandwich them like the aftermarket ones.

Ok, so really it's just worth it to get aftermarket ones, as they will essentially fit the same, maybe needing minor cutting out of the hole.

I've got a set of c4x4 that I believe imitate OEM brackets. I can sell.

Sent from tapatalk on iJunk

are they factory ones? Or at least fit like the other brackets?
Unforunately they have been sold, but they fit like the factory between the framrail and bumper brackets. They use the same 3 holes for bumper, and extend farther back to bolt thru the rail. The guy offering them probably has similar ones.
The aftermarket stock-style ones allow you to use your factory bumper brackets.

Should

Back