• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disc Brake Conversion

Re: Disc Brake Converson

Libbies come with the 8.25 rear and they have disc brakes. It is on my list to put in a set of those as they should, I'm thinking, bolt in. The "problem" with ZJ brakes is that you have to rework the backing plate just to get them on.

I figure, why fight it when other parts are available...

It isn't really that hard to rework the backing plates. A few minutes with a dremel or something of the like makes quick work of it.

Also, do a search on this, this has been covered many many times with numerous write-ups. The information your looking for is out there.

I did the ZJ dana 35 disc swap. It was not horrible to do. If you live in an area with rust be prepared to bend new lines yourself. both of my hard lines broke on my axle. If you are willing to swap to a new brake system then the modifications to the ZJ backing plates shouldn't scare you at all.

Dundy just installed that kit on my 99 chry 8.25. All new calipers, backing plates, banjo bolts, hoses, etc...great kit!

FIFY!

Half price weekend at pick n pull+$90=explorer 8.8 with disc brakes complete. Leaves almost enough left over to regear both axles.

.... who has the best bang for the buck?

The junkyard. $50 for Liberty 8.25 caliper brackets, calipers, rotors, and e-brake cables. Trade in the used calipers for rebuilts and buy new rotors.

^^^And it will bolt in. The Libby e-brake cables will run to the XJ splitter and also bolt in. Why cut on a backing plate when there is bolt on alternatives...

Wow, for that kind of money, i could fly out to someones house and do the conversion for them:greensmok

You have to keep in mind that Savvy kits use only top shelf components.. not the cheapest they can get crap.

I can assure you there isn't a lot of profit in that price, and that you can't put together a better functioning kit without exactly duplicating what is there.

You have to keep in mind that Savvy kits use only top shelf components.. not the cheapest they can get crap.

I can assure you there isn't a lot of profit in that price, and that you can't put together a better functioning kit without exactly duplicating what is there.

Yeah but most of us are cheap and broke. Who's got 700 to blow on brakes? not me!

Cal just likes the finer things in life. :p

I hear jeep parts cost more in the Matrix :p

Just for twhat it's worth, that kit is the same exact kit on Rustys & Quadratec. Same part number, same supplier. Can't say enough, nice kit! One is being raffled at NAC-fest this year.

I just did the G2 disc brake kit from 4wd.com for under $500. Every thing was labeled L or R & had SS hoses. Went really smooth.

I used junkyard '98 ZJ backing plates and caliper brackets-$15, rebuilt the calipers myself-$18, new park drum hardware kit and shoes-$40, EBC green 6000 pads-$60, (2) new rear hoses-$50, PowerSlot rotors-$155, (10) ZJ rear wheel studs-$25, (2) new Timken wheel bearings-$60.......Totals out to about $430, but it's exactly the way I want it. I also included new bearings (why the hell not, you're already there) and the ZJ wheel studs are longer. I don't seem to notice too many people mentioning that part. Discs are thicker than the drum housing, and running Moabs with 33's, I was only getting 4-5 threads on the XJ wheel studs. Better safe than broke.

Back