• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilsteing 5125 or DT 8000

playbygolf

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

So I'm going to be getting the Iron Rock 3" kit with 3.5" rear leaf springs. The shock options are between the DT8000 and the Bilstein 5125. I'm more of a go fast or a moderate run type of driver. Won't be doing much crawling. It's also not a daily driver. Which would you recommend?

BTW this is Tyler, Heepspeed's (Garrett) brother. I have the white 96 XJ.

Your input is appreciated!

'Don't know much bout the DT8000, the 5125 has a pretty good rep. I'd say go with the Bilsteins if you 're dead set on getting the package shock.

If you want to do the Go-fast thing, order the kit sans shocks and get a set of Bilstein 7100s or Fox 2.0 smooth bodies or equivalent(basically any 2" rebuild-able shock)

Any Bilsteins with 255/70 valving.

Settle for nothing less.

I had 255/70 on my XJ with HP44/D44 on 35s and felt they were a little soft.

Went with 360/80 on my MJ with HP60/D60 on 40s. Have yet to try them out.

Shouldn't they be 5100s?
If they're 5125's you'd need a post to bar pin converter for the front shock top.
True, but I would be surprised if IRO does not include the adapters.

Awesome, thanks guys! Going for the Bilstein 5125. Webdog can custom fab anything I may need to make 'em work. Check out his stuff @ http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/
If IRO does not include them well whip something up!

Oh and better go to the red side!

Or, if you got the $$, go for the 5160s, stem mount on top and reservoir.
Make sure to get some lift on that before you tear your tires apart as well.

Or, if you got the $$, go for the 5160s, stem mount on top and reservoir.
Make sure to get some lift on that before you tear your tires apart as well.

x2 on the 5160. The valving is tuned for the application rather than the generic valving of the 5125. Also as Webdog notes when comparing 5125 vs. 5160 factor in the cost of adaptors.

I have the douchebag tech 8000s. They blow. Please dont use that rubber bumpstop that it has, shocks arent meant for limiting travel, bumpstops and limiting straps are.

I plan on the new OMEs, or bilsteins once i upgrade.

Good luck!

Back