• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear main seal

yup. and you may want to post this in the tech dept.

Just need to drop the oil pan and rear main cap.

Get a good quality oil pan gasket and seal. Felpro OS34308R is the oil pan gasket, and BS40612 is the rear main seal.

While your at it, wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the o rings in the oil filter adapter at the same time.

I just did one 2 weeks ago on Skwerly's jeep. It takes longer to scrape the old gasket off the block and the pan than it does to pull it and replace it.

If you don't feel like tackling it yourself shoot me a PM and we can work something out.

hit grimm up he does good work.. its a doable fix. i've done it. it just takes time... and knowledge.

yeah scrapping off the old gaskets takes a REALLY long time, and also in my case taking off the pan. the original 1987 gasket was like cement and the pan had to be pry barred off and pounded back into shape..... not fun. i think it took a day just to scrape the old gaskets off. the RMS itself takes very little time compared to the whole job.

a sharpened 2" putty knife with a striker handle and lots of patience works wonders :D

Beer and curse words help too.

Side note,

When putting the pan back in let the RTV set so the gasket doesnt try and move on you upon installation. It's best to have an extra set of hand to help put it back on if you can find a buddy to help. I had to do mine Solo Bolo... :p

Also... Use the little plastic strip 'Tool' shoe horn thingy they give you in the main seal package.. It will save you ~$50 and a lot of those curse words. Oh and a 5 mile walk to the parts store.:flamemad:

The holding onto the pan gasket was a real trick. Also in my stroker I have the cap girdle with two washers for each bolt to space it off the rods.. This was a balancing act like no other.. On the third attempt i just covered them in grease and stuck them all on.

I haven't tried it myself, but I have read you can use a few zip ties to hold the gasket in place, put a bunch of bolts in, then snip and remove the zip ties.

must drop pan, hope your junk is lifted, cause if it isnt you may as well pretty much pull the front axle.

Back