• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Built some hood vents

4.3LXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have been procrastinating filling the holes in my hood. Here is the ones I cut to vent it behind the radiator.

IMG_0420.jpg

My first attempt was a dismal failure, so I didn't try it again for awhile. But I got tired of the uglies. So here is what I built.

First attempt was the passenger side.

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

I may redo the passenger side when I get some time. But it gets better every time I try it.

Seems redundant to me too, you really dont need the fans if you have the vents, but i think the vents look cool and they serve their purpose to cover the holes

I had a terrible overheating problem even with a Griffin radiator. I lost head gaskets in the Chevy motor twice at the rear of the engine. So the fans are for oil coolers and vents by the back of the radiator. It never overheated with the hood off, so I just needed air flow.

Ever think about getting a Taurus/Mark VIII fan like everyone else with overheating problems? Vents look nice, but I don't even know what to say about the fans.

Moving the huge winch in front of the radiator would probably help too.

Indeed, dropping the winch lower or placing it under the rad helps a lot with overheating as well as approach angle.

Ever think about getting a Taurus/Mark VIII fan like everyone else with overheating problems? Vents look nice, but I don't even know what to say about the fans.

Moving the huge winch in front of the radiator would probably help too.

Moving the winch might help, but I don't want to rebuild the front bumper. The problem was a really bad overheating problem. If I removed the hood, I had no problems. With the hood on, the whole front of the XJ would get extremely hot and I would start smelling burning carpet. I could not drive up a local hill at 55 mph in hot weather without having to replace head gaskets afterwards, which got old. Here is the underside of the hood:

IMG_0390.jpg

The fans only come on when the exiting oil is over 160° and blow cool air in. They are mostly for crawling and blow cooler air on the header and fire wall area to keep my feet from getting cooked in hot weather. Here are the radiator fans:

IMG_0174-1.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

They put out as much as a Taurus fan.

IMG_0174-1.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

They put out as much as a Taurus fan.[/QUOTE]

What brand of fans are those and what's the CFM rating? That look like a custom made fan shrowd. Nice.

You have plenty of space between the fans and the engine,... a lot more than the 4.0L.

These are Derale fans. Rated at 2200 cfm each, and yes I built the shroud. They work well on a sensor that turns them on at 200°

Yes, there is a lot of stuff. My goal is to make it a good DD and very capable wheeler in all situations. So, it has functional AC, on board air etc. I want to be able to drive it in relative comfort several hundred miles with the wife and wheel when we get there and drive back. That has always been the goal of my builds.

These are Derale fans. Rated at 2200 cfm each, and yes I built the shroud. They work well on a sensor that turns them on at 200°

OK. Those are really good fans. I too have the Derale but the duals mounted in the shroud. Part number DER-16928 rated at 4,000 CFM. They do an excellent job of keeping the 4.0 cool. Mine are activated by a Renix era fan switch in the radiator and come on at 185*. I thing those fans should do a good job of keeping things cool as long you could get the hot out of the engine bay.

i had a few chevys with 4.3s in them and i never ever had an overheating problem with them. im wondering why youre having such a problem with your setup. maybe try a bigger radiator. then you can lose all the spaceship accessories.

Back