• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Safe way to remove ABS system

1990JEEPXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
1990 XJ, 4.0, AW4, 4x4, stock ABS brakes

i am finally ridding my XJ of the bendix ABS and going with a WJ booster/MC.

my questions are, is there a safe way to remove all the pressure stuff?

is anything under enough pressure that i should be aware of when removing everything or can i just dive right in?

and yes i have read the WJ booster swap threads, but very few address the removal of ABS equipped XJ's. seems like ABS was a pretty rare option back then.

any tips and advice is appreciated

To release pressure:
With the key in the off position, pump the brake pedal a minimum of 70 times. Make sure the brake pump is not running. When disconnecting lines, wear safety glasses and protective clothing/gloves: just in case.

FYI: the pressure,(IIRC 2000 or few thousand psi), is stored in the accumulator: the spherical reservoir located on top of the firewall, driver side. It may also be present in the lines between the pump, the accumulator and the master cylinder/modulator.

Good luck,

thanks for the info. but i ended up just going for it and there was no pressure in the lines anywhere. maybe that wouldve been the procedure had the ABS actually still been functioning. i had zero brake pressure when i took everything off.

but talk about a pain in the ass removing all that stuff.

Back