• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me talk this out...quasi newb question

88JeepXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I would appreciate you patience as I talk this out because I'm having trouble deciding what to do. haha

So my XJ recently became my weekend offroad toy (my wife wishes it became my sold XJ!). I now have little reserves to the effects of lifting and wheeling it hard now that I only need to drive it to club runs. I need more lift...help me pick the best (and cheapest) path.

Right now I have Rocky Road 2" coil spacer with ZJ V8 springs up front, good for about 3" of lift, and medium duty OME 2" leaf packs (I think it was closer to 2.5" but may be sagging) with a 1/2" "block" from Rocky Road's BB, this netted me again about 3". I still have the Rocky Road 1.5" lift shackle.

I would ultimate like to be around 4.5" to 5" I think. I am running 31s but should really be running 33s as I find myself getting hung up on more stuff than the guys I run with.

So what is my cheapest but still good solution? What is the best way to get another 1/2" out back? I'm thinking about getting a 4.5" coil up front and ditching the spacer but that's $$. Best way to get another 1.5" up front?

Things to consider:
I have aftermarket fixed lower control arms for a 3" lift but stock uppers.
I am running a SYE with a front XJ AW4 driveshaft (so I have two identical ds front and rear)...will I run out of length to the rear?

How far out of alignment will adding 1.5" to the front? I really don't want to pay another $100 to align it!

Last edited:
Cheap and good can't be used in a subject like this.... however you can piece a lift together. I would start with getting a decent set of use or new leafs and coils and then move onto trackbar and control arms.

I get the "you get what you pay for" argument.

I'm asking for specifics like: Buy brand X front coils and brand Y spacer-shackle-lift dohicky. I have been checking the forums for sale sections but nothing yet.

Oh an I should have added that I have an adjustable track bar, and aftermarket tie rods and some rock protection.

Right now I have Rocky Road 2" coil spacer with ZJ V8 springs up front, good for about 3" of lift, and medium duty OME 2" leaf packs (I think it was closer to 2.5" but may be sagging) with a 1/2" "block" from Rocky Road's BB, this netted me again about 3". I still have the Rocky Road 1.5" lift shackle.

Are the RR shackles installed?

If it were me, I'd remove the blocks and pick up some HD Shackle Relocation boxes, install them with the lift shackles. Should give a little lift, and allow you to dial in good shackles angles.

I would ultimate like to be around 4.5" to 5" I think. I am running 31s but should really be running 33s as I find myself getting hung up on more stuff than the guys I run with.

I prefer minimum lift. Consider around 3.5 inches for 33's and trimming your fenders.

I'm at 4.5 inch on 35's and am plenty high.

How far out of alignment will adding 1.5" to the front? I really don't want to pay another $100 to align it!

Consider aligning yourself, especially since you won't be daily driving.

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm

I prefer minimum lift. Consider around 3.5 inches for 33's and trimming your fenders.

I'm at 4.5 inch on 35's and am plenty high.

Consider aligning yourself, especially since you won't be daily driving.

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm

what this guy said. Low wins. driveway alignment takes 5 minutes and is free, take the $100 (obsurd) you woulda spent on the alignment and buy new coils, install the shackle.

:repair:

Ditch the block and the leafs that are probably fatigued thanks to the blocks. I was happy with my former RE coils, undecided on the leafs. They sagged unevenly a while back and they wanted all kinds of pictures and measurements before replacing. Now they're working great. :dunno: I'm running Deaver coils now and love them. I'm at 5.5" with 33s, I like the way it handles, and the setup I'm running works really well. I didn't build for a particular height, I just ended up here with the deals I was able to get.

Ditch the block and the leafs that are probably fatigued thanks to the blocks.

I dunno, we aren't talking about a 2" manufactured block here. It is basically an additional short leaf strapped to the bottom of the leaf pack. It is a 1/2 flat piece of steel. I think the problems with blocks is highly overrated and likely only a real problem with crappy stock leaf packs. I think the packs are fine, I may just add another leaf (AAL) if I find I need more once I install the shackle.

I may have a line on some used coils up front. What is the limit with the stock upper control arms?

XJ springs (stock and aftermarket) are very soft compared to most vehicles that run blocks because our rigs are generally very light. Most people will tell you that a block is a bad idea on an XJ, unless you're willing to run a traction bar.

If you're looking to run 33s or larger, it's a good idea to get aftermarket control arms, both upper and lower.

Okay so I will consider removing the spacer, but I think you guys are failing to understand that it is just like a double thickness spring perch. If it is really that big of a deal then we should be fabricating and installing full width spring perches.

So I need to decide if I'm going to add a leaf to my current pack or buy a new lift pack. Does anyone have an opinion of adding a 1.5" AAL to a 2" spring pack vs. buying a 3.5" spring pack?

I like the fact that you can maintain the correct shackle alignment but isn't that is going to greatly decrease the departure angle with those and a longer shackle? It looks like something that wouldn't be hard at all to make. Not sure I see the $135...

I don't think it would impact departure angle.

And, I've seen a write of somewhere of someone who made their own... don't remember where.

If you look at how a leaf springs works and apply basic physics, it'll help you understand. A leaf spring locates the axle front/back, side to side, and fights rotation. If you increase the distance of the pack from the axle, you've created a lever that will amplify the rotational forces applied to the leaf. That'll make wrap more prevalent and make breakage (of the spring, of the drive shaft, etc) more likely. We just had a guy bust the CV and u-joint on his rear shaft at SoCal Fest due to wrap, and as far as I know, he wasn't running blocks.

Back