• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How can I tell the difference between...

bmsmalley

NAXJA Forum User
Have only had my XJ since this past Saturday. How can I tell the difference between the D35 and the Chrys 8.25 rear end? Its a 94 and has a tag on it that says to use limited slip diff lube.

Thanks guys I believe I have the Chrysler 8.25. Now, what can I expect from it? What are the chances it has a limited slip, do I assume so because it has a tag on it that says "us limited slip diff lube"? What are my gear options with the stock carrier, it will not be a DD so how low can I go (the plan is to run 33' or 35")?

Thanks guys I believe I have the Chrysler 8.25. Now, what can I expect from it? What are the chances it has a limited slip, do I assume so because it has a tag on it that says "us limited slip diff lube"? What are my gear options with the stock carrier, it will not be a DD so how low can I go (the plan is to run 33' or 35")?

Yes, slip. Gear options are up to you, 4.10, 4.56, rec with that tire size. And your lift is gonna depend on your wallet and what you truly plan on doing with this thing. Regardless if your gonna bash this thing on the weekend I would def look at 4.5" of lift for 33 or 35. 35 may be pushing it. Do you have a problem with cutting the fenders? Most of this stuff can easily be searched on other threads.

Last edited:
Nah, no problems cutting fenders. I just want a capable vehicle that can go from point A to point B with little concern for what is in between. And of course I want it to look the business even though it might not see all that it could possibly handle.

Glad to hear 4:56 is an option with the stock carries (I assume that that is an option). Planning a Rough Country 6.5" Long Arm kit. Only 1500 bucks. My brother has the same kit on his Wrangler and loves it!

yup, rubber plugs is a bad way to check for 8.25.... google image search is your friend.

on the 8.25, the carrier break is way small, like somewhere in the 2.xx range, so you allready have the larger carrier. your 94 should have a 27 spline, but it's still stronger than a d35!

if it has the LSD tag, i'd bet money that it has a limited slip, why would someone swap the tag over? the question is... is does it still work? probably not.

yup, rubber plugs is a bad way to check for 8.25.... google image search is your friend.

on the 8.25, the carrier break is way small, like somewhere in the 2.xx range, so you allready have the larger carrier. your 94 should have a 27 spline, but it's still stronger than a d35!

if it has the LSD tag, i'd bet money that it has a limited slip, why would someone swap the tag over? the question is... is does it still work? probably not.

x2, the 8.25 in my garage waiting to go in, and the d35 on my rig both have rubber plugs...

Flat bottom and aura of beefyness is much more reliable. :)

x2, the 8.25 in my garage waiting to go in, and the d35 on my rig both have rubber plugs...

Flat bottom and aura of beefyness is much more reliable. :)

Look for the flat bottom on the axle rather than the cover....that's from my limited knowledge or look for the "rino horn" as shown in the last pic.

c825andd35-2.png

U can tell the right 8.25 has a flat edge at the bottom.

MyXJrearaxle2.jpg

D35

8252.jpg

C8.25 "rino horn"

GL.

I am a '99 factory D35 w/ ABS, w/ rubber plug and no limited slip :mad:..

Back