• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lost brake pressure in Reverse?

jdbwrx

NAXJA Forum User
When I was out wheeling this weekend, my brakes started acting funny.

Going forward, everything worked fine. A couple times though when I threw it in reverse to realign on an obstacle, I lost all brake pressure and the pedal just dropped to the floor. Needless to say, this scared the $hit outta me! Back into 1st though and everything was fine.

I did have a few drips of fluid coming out where the front lines connect to the calipers. I tightened them down and it seems to have stopped.

I post this in modified because my set up is not exactly stock. WJ front calipers, stainless lines, ZJ guts in the proportioning valve, ZJ rear disc swap. Auto tranny and stock booster though.

Any thoughts?

There is no mechanical difference to a disc brake system what gear or direction you are going.

Steel lines, if too long, get hung on things. Look for line pinching.

Also, leaking fittings allow air to leak in when you let the pedal up. If that air gets into the MC the system can stop working until that air works out. You may have "fixed" it by eliminating the leaks.

There is no mechanical difference to a disc brake system what gear or direction you are going.

Steel lines, if too long, get hung on things. Look for line pinching.

Also, leaking fittings allow air to leak in when you let the pedal up. If that air gets into the MC the system can stop working until that air works out. You may have "fixed" it by eliminating the leaks.

That is what I was thinking. I am going to get some new copper crush washers for the lines, rebleed everything, and see how it feels.

FWIW, I found out what my problem was. Basically, where the lines connect to the caliper was hitting on my lowered shock mount at full steering lock. This was loosening up the banjo bolt. I had a new set of brake lines made that didn't have a slight bend to them the way the head on the Crown lines did. Now the lines clear the shock mount no problem.

Back