• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Evaporator change out

dewayne1

NAXJA Forum User
This weekend I had to change out the evaporator coil in the dash. Not a fun project, but well worth the effort. I have pics, but I need to know where to post them. Is it a members only privilege to post attachments, or do I need to use another forum? Help

You'll need to host them off site (Photobucket works well) then use the "Insert Image" button when making a post to insert the link of that picture to here.

Thanks Timbo, I'll admit it, I'm a newbie. As if you could not tell. Here is the ride.
0521111401.jpg
[/IMG]
0521111400a.jpg
[/IMG]
0521111400.jpg
[/IMG]
0521111359b.jpg
[/IMG]
0521111359a.jpg
[/IMG]
0521111359.jpg
[/IMG]
0521111401a.jpg
[/IMG]
0324111707.jpg
[/IMG]

A/C works great.

DeWayne---2001 Cherokee Sport---Mostly stock

tough job. hope it all works now.

p.s. you guys keep your head down tonite storms headed your way

No problem. Thanks for posting the pics for others to see.

Interesting you went at it without completely removing the dash. I've done this job on 2 late models (mine needs it to, but I refuse to do all that work for something I no longer DD...i'll just recharge it before a trip for now). Both times i've completely removed the dash, and in order to do so, the steering wheel. I also usually make it a point to put a new accumulator/receiver drier on it if it hasn't been replaced in a while and/or the owner plans on keeping the Jeep for quite some time.

It's really not a "hard" job per say, just a time consuming one. First one I did, with 3 of us working on it, we had it done start to finish in 3 hours (including draining and filling the radiator as well as vacuuming and recharging the A/C). The second one was just me and one other friend, and that took us right around 8 hours with a couple of runs for parts and food thrown in.

24982_686725789217_36618587_38814256_3133554_n.jpg

15543_654494500977_36618587_37852160_7951639_n.jpg

Last edited:
How much did this project run you and what parts did you need? I need to replace this as well in my 2000 sport. Did you replace the heater core as well? Thanks!

Sorry for not including more info guys. The evaporator was around $100.00. I did all of the work myself in about 10 hours start to finish. I did not change out the heater core, but I bought one for about $65. I ended up using my original, since the new one was not correctly built. The tubes have only a narrow path to follow through the blower housing, and the one I bought was bent wrong. So I did a pressure check on the original one and it was good. I hope that decision does not bite me int he butt. I have worked in the HVAC industry for 25 years, so I had easy access to a vacuum pump and leak check equipment, and refrigerant scales. My system only holds 1.25 lbs. I measured it in.

Thanks for the interest guys.

DeWayne
2001 Cherokee Sport 4x4, 4.0 liter I6, Automatic

how do you plan to recharge it? The PO unhooked my dryer and i need to vacuum and recharge the system, hope to make it a DIY

Unhooked it as in....completely removed it and put nothing back in it's place? I hope that's not the case. If it is, you're going to have all kinds or dirt and dust inside the lines and system that's got to come out some how...

I have a manifold gauge set from Harbor Freight as well as a vacuum pump from HF (3 CFM if memory serves)....works great for doing AC work.

Unhooked it as in....completely removed it and put nothing back in it's place? I hope that's not the case. If it is, you're going to have all kinds or dirt and dust inside the lines and system that's got to come out some how...

I have a manifold gauge set from Harbor Freight as well as a vacuum pump from HF (3 CFM if memory serves)....works great for doing AC work.

He just unhooked the dryer to replace the alternator. why? IDK. then he hooked it back up.

He just unhooked the dryer to replace the alternator. why? IDK. then he hooked it back up.

Ahh I see. So what you need to do then is pull a vacuum on it for 15-20 minutes then recharge it.

Using the pump and gauge set I mentioned above will work well for you.

Back