• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No low beams - bad switch?

rockhill

NAXJA Forum User
'94 Sport. With the key turned off both high beams and low beams work. Upon turning the key to on or starting the engine the high beams work but not consistently and the low beams do not work at all. The one constant is the high beams work all the time when pulling back on the column lever. Any ideas guys?

If it's not the switch in the column, it may be the multi-way connector in the fender behind the airbox for the front header wiring. It's rather well known for the terminals to corrode & crack off.

I checked the 10 pin connector behind the driver's side headlight and it appears to be good. So, check the dimmer switch on the column next? Any good tutorials out there? Thanks.

pull teh switch in the dash and see if one of the contacts is melted. My bros started doing the intermitent thing with his until one day they just cut out. Since power to the highbeams when the column switch is pulled is powered directly and not through the switch, that is where i would put my money on.

pull teh switch in the dash and see if one of the contacts is melted. My bros started doing the intermitent thing with his until one day they just cut out. Since power to the highbeams when the column switch is pulled is powered directly and not through the switch, that is where i would put my money on.

You're referring to the pull switch for the lights? (not the dimmer, right?) That sounds a lot easier to deal with than the dimmer switch.

Yep. there's a little button on the bottom of the switch body that holds the pull knob in. Just push it in, pull out the knob, then unscrew it from the dash. Pull it out and check to see if one of the contacts on top is melted. If it is, replace it. Job done

Yep. there's a little button on the bottom of the switch body that holds the pull knob in. Just push it in, pull out the knob, then unscrew it from the dash. Pull it out and check to see if one of the contacts on top is melted. If it is, replace it. Job done

On that note, disconnect the battery first! It is possible to accidentally ground the switch while removing the plunger. Makes a nice spark and blows some fuses.

Back