• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Cooling Fan

jaybrown

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought a '92 XJ 4.0HO and the previous owner had the electric fan ran direct to the fuse box in the cab. I had to replace the fan because it went out. Now I love to camp and fish, and since I have replaced my factory stereo with one that you can here, I like to listen to it while sitting around the campfire. The only problem is that the fan runs constant when the key is on aux to run my radio. I know that I could fix this with a toggle switch but...
1. I am going to have a lot of toggle switches anyway because I ran my antenna motor to a additional factory toggle so I could still listen to the stereo with the antenna down while light trailing so it wouldn't break off. Plus I will have toggle switches for the lockers, and I'm trying to keep it looking good inside still.
2. If I did ever forget the toggle switch and forgot to pay attention to the temp gauge (which I would hope that I wouldn't, but there's a chance) then my xj overheats and all sorts of bad things could happen.

I disconnected the wire running direct, and flipped the A/C & Elec. Fan relays. Both are working. The fan kicks on when my A/C is turned on, but when A/C is off it won't kick on. It just sits there and starts to overheat. My temp gauge is working fine so I don't think it's the temperature sending unit. I hear this is a common problem, but I don't know. I haven't found anything on the forums here. Any suggestions?

Sounds like the previous owner was trying to mask an overheating problem. There is no reason to hot wire the cooling fan. I would check your entire cooling system. A bad water pump or scaled up radiator will cause overheating. If you have a mechanical clutch fan check it as well. I have read that wiring the E-fan can cause other computer problems on non-Renix Jeeps. Perhaps Joe Peters or others could elaborate.

I have owned it for over a year now, and have never had a cooling problem. Even when the electric fan went out (I ran it for a couple weeks without one) it never tried to overheat except when setting for long periods of time. That is the purpose of an electric fan though, to turn on and draw more air through when the engine temp gets high (which is usually at low speeds). Not saying that the jeep may have some cooling issues. It has 200k miles on it. But what I need to know is how to fix it where it will work like it did from factory. Only kicking on when the temp passes 210 or 220. I haven't had any other problems with anything on it besides minor things not related to the engine or wiring.

Install a toggle switch inline, or wire the fan back to OE specs.

Please read the post. I have disconnected the direct line. the wire harness has not been tampered with except for where they spliced the direct power wire into the input wires by the fan plug. I took that out so it is wired just like it came from factory. I have mentioned reasons that I don't want to put a toggle switch in. Could my temp sending unit be affecting it even though my temp gauge is still reading correctly?

Back